Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Why have I been prescribed Mylan-Valacyclovir for a scratch

Why have I been prescribed Mylan-Valacyclovir for a scratch on my eye (no history of herpes)?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Can you tell me the history surrounding the scratch? How did it happen and what was used to scratch the eye? When did it happen and what did your eye doctor tell you about this scratch? Did you see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Sorry computer crashed

I don't know how the scratch happened. I wear contact lenses and maybe when I put them in or removed them.

The doctor said there is a scratch and also an infection. He prescribed me Mylan-Valacyclovir and asked me if I have ever had a cold sore. My answer was NO

He has also prescribed moxifloxacin hydrochloride eye drop.

Dr. Dan B. : Okay thank you for that additional information. Judging by the two completely different antimicrobial medicines the doctor gave you, this doctor must have more than a little bit of suspicion that your scratch may be related to herpesvirus. However it seems as though they are unsure, because they also give you an antibiotic to treat for a bacterial infection.
Dr. Dan B. : a corneal abrasion, scratch, or infection caused by herpesvirus has a fairly characteristic appearance, and that must be what prompted them to treat you with the Valacyclovir. The drug itself is very safe, so I do not think you would have a problem taking it just to be sure. This virus is ubiquitous. More than three quarters of the population have had exposure to the virus. And once exposed, the virus then lives latent in your nerve cells and can reactivate at any time, commonly producing eye infections. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Thanks for the response - which is fine, and explains the cautious approach in view of the ubiquitousness of the virus.