Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Last night I went completely blind in my left eye for about

Last night I went completely blind in my left eye for about 15 min..... no pain.... no numbness.....no floaters. Then it went away and nothing since. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

Were you lights-out blind in your left eye or was it like looking through a grey veil?

Customer:

i had asmall halo around my eye. I am a mild diabetic. one pill a day...high blood pressure

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

I know what happened to you....and the good news? You will be OK. Let me explain:

Dr. Rick :

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I do take migraine meds

Dr. Rick :

I am confident that this is what you experienced.

Dr. Rick :

No need to run to the ER or the doctor at this point, but you should mention it to him next time you see him in the office.

Customer:

OK...thank you....I was worried about an anurisum

Dr. Rick :

Nope. No aneurysm. No brain tumors....

Dr. Rick :

But everyone thinks of those first, so don't feel bad :)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS