Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

MY WIFE JUST HAD A MINI SHUNT PUT INTO HER RIGHT EYE. SHE LOST

MY WIFE JUST HAD A MINI SHUNT PUT INTO HER RIGHT EYE. SHE LOST THE VISION IN THE LEFT EYE ABOUT 9 YEARS AGEO TO GLOUCOMA. THE RIGHT EYE WAS ALWAYS AROUND 11. ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO THE PRESSURE WENT UP TO 28 AND NO MATTER WHAT WAS DONE IT DIDN'T DECREASE. EVEN WITH THE SHUNT THAT WAS JUST PUT IN ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO. NOW SHE IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE RIGHT EYE. SHE COULD BE SEEING LIGHT FINE AND ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WOULD GET VERY DARK. AND THEN BETWEEN A HALF HOUR TO AS LONG AS 4 HOURS THEN IT WOULD GET LIGHT. WOULD LIKE TO GET YOUR OPINION. THANK YOU

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

This sounds very serious to me. She may be experiencing something called amaurosis fugax.

Dr. Rick :

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your time.....you need to know what to do for your wife.

AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that she is heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of her carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.

Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.

I can not stress enough the need for your wife to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible.

Dr. Rick :

Another, and almost as serious, issue your wife may be having is secondary to her glaucoma. It is possible that her pressure control is working so poorly at the moment that the pressure inside her eye is getting so high that blood flow to her optic nerve or retina is being compromised.

Dr. Rick :

In either case she needs to be seen by her ophthalmologist and, probably, an internal medicine doctor right now.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I was just thinking about your wife and her episodes of vision loss and wondering what the doctors found.

I hope everything OK and she is doing better.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help in the future. Please give my best to your Wife.

Dr. Rick MD FACS