Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My eye dilated after returning to normal after an eye exam!

My eye dilated after returning to normal after an eye exam! I had a full exam at 2 pm Yesterday and have had full refractions since age 7 and am 57. I had return to my baseline vision and went to bed and woke early today with blurry vision and now my Right pupil is dilated at least 3 mm and my vision is blurry. What happened? I find it hard to believe this is coincidental.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The duration of action of the dilating eyedrops vary and usually tropicamide eye drops are used for dilating pupils. Its effect can last for 6 to 12 hours. However residual dilation of pupil can occur especially with use of phenyepherine too. Cyclopentolate and homatropine are other dilating eye drops which have prolonged action upto 2 to 3 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If plain tropicamide was used , then it is likely that the pupil will revert back to normal within a few hours. If the dilate ye exam showed a normal healthy retina , yesterday , then I guess you need not worry in this regard. Sudden onset of blurred vision with dilated pupil can occur in case of optic nerve inflammation, massive retinal lesions, angle closure glaucoma, traumatic mydriasis, toxic mydriasis. However all these conditions would have shown signs on the eye exam done the previous day. So that should give you some relief and lessen the anxiety. I guess the dilating eye drop has just taXXXXX XXXXXer than usual to exit the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Elizabeth,

I did not find you in the live chat hence I switched over to the Q&A format so that you can view the answer when you are back.