Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have one eye that waters and is a tad red in the white part.

I have one eye that waters and is a tad red in the white part. I have had three different eye drops perscribed over the last 3 months and my duct flushed to see if it was blocked and it wasn't. It waters even when I don't have make up on and when I first get up after sleeping. I can't figure out why it would only be one eye and i have been to 2 doctors now and bought hypo alergentic make up. Lots of dollars spent!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat ?
Dr. Dan B. : Tearing is usually due to one of a few problems: 1. the eyelids not being positioned correctly (surgery, trauma, skin loosening as we age or a Bell's palsy can cause this); 2. There is some inflammation inside or on the eye (corneal scratches or infections and/or iritis) and the eye responds by being light-sensitive and also waters. This is usually not a chronic condition, but a solitary event; 3. Tear drainage obstruction or 4. Dry eye. By far dry eye is the most common cause of a watery eye. It sounds backwards to attribute tearing to a dry eye but when the eye is dry, the eye sends a signal to the brain that tells the eye to water, but the watering is usually not sufficient to keep the eye hydrated over the long haul. There are many reasons to have a dry eye. Some of the most common are: not making enough of your own tears, having eyelid inflammation called blepharitis, allergies, living in a dry/windy/dusty environment and some medicines (antihistamines commonly). I would suggest starting to treat blepharitis. That starts with using artificial tears 4x/day for a few weeks. It must be consistent, daily use, however, or it won't work. This is accompanied by a daily regimen of hot compresses on the eyes x 10 minutes, followed by scrubbing the eyelashes with a dilute baby shampoo solution will help treat eyelid inflammation. If these things are done consistently, it is likely that you will have a noticeable improvement, but you must be consistent about them. It is also important to understand that it takes 3 weeks of doing this daily before the effect kicks in and then you lose the effect if you stop it or do it only sporadically. Something important to remember, however, is if you are supplementing your dryness with artificial tears, but aren't treating the inflammation causing the dryness, then you won't see an improvement in the symptoms. Likewise, using artificial tears without doing the above-mentioned treatments may not be sufficient either. The lid scrubs and compresses have to be done concurrently with the artificial tears for 3-4 weeks before tapering down on the artificial tears. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : As to why this is just one eye and not both, this is a very common scenario in many different eye problems. It is quite likely the other eye has the same problems that are causing these symptoms, but that the one eye is affected to a higher degree than the other causing symptoms in just one eye. This is very common. Make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

I can not scroll your whole answer up or down and it is driving my crazy!

Customer:

Can you e-amil to me? The top half of web page is in the way and I can't close that part of it to read your answer. there is no X.

Customer:

I never got a chance to read the first response you sent.

Dr. Dan B. : I will switch modes to Q&A and repost my answer.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.