Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

fluid bags after dissolving filler

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rick, i am in Australia and 8 weeks ago, for the first time, had a small amount of Restylane side of both eyes and 1/2 syringe of voluma in each side/ upper cheek. ( i think it is called juvaderm plus in some countries) i had alot of bruising around eyes and cheek which took 2 weeks of Arnica to go. By 3weeks i still had huge bags of fluid under my eyes and some product. I didn't have any filler injected in the tear trough area, just side of outer corners and cheeks. I told the Doctor, who is well respected that i had thyroid cancer 2yrs ago and had 15 lymph nodes removed in my neck before he did any injections. As my swelling wouldn't go down and he could see product under eyes, he thought my lymph system was restricted and dissolved eyes and cheeks with hylaronidase. I had two black eyes and cheeks from the dissolving, so again, over 2 weeks for that bruising to go. It's been 3 weeks since bruising has gone and im still left with fluid bags, not as big as they were when i had the filler, but they are not going down. The doctor thinks it may take a few months for my lymph system to drain due to all the bruising and swelling over the past weeks. I am having lymph drainage massage, but only a small change. The doctor said that there is nothing more he can do, but only time. Please can you give me your opinion. Also i had a large amount of hylaronidase injected under both eyes and there is no more product left, just fluid. Thanks, Lynette 

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Other then the thyroid cancer, do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Do you have any other symptoms, such as itching etc?

Have you noticed any improvement yet?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have any other symptoms like itching, just fluid bags, which are a little less under outer corner of eye today after another lymph massage, but still under eyes and always worse in the morning. I take thyroxine thyroid replacement and i am kept TSH suppressed to keep away my cancer. I do have mild hayfever, but it has never caused puffy eyes. I take symbicort inhaler for asthma and micardis for boarder line blood pressure.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lynette,

Thank you for that extra information.

Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of how thing look at the moment? Here is a good way to do this:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, but i don't have a camera or mobile phone that takes pictures, so any info you can give would be a help.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lynette,

Ok. We can work without the pictures :)

It does sound like you had significant bruising during the injections but I think more was going on then just that to account for the large amount of swelling you have.

I think you may have experienced an allergic reaction to something in the compounds used.

Since you are not having any other symptoms or problems at this point and bags, while they are not changing much right now, are smaller then they were are first I have to agree with your doctor:

There is noting that you can do different at this point other than to give your body time to drain the fluid and clean things up.

In addition to doing the lymph massage I would use hot compresses to the area to stimulate blood flow to the area which will help remove the fluid.

I would also not use any Juvaderm Plus or Restylane again.

On the plus side, given time, I am confident that your swelling will resolve.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX only a few times with the hot compress, but it seemed to make the swelling bigger, so i went back to ice in the morning for a few minutes on each eye as it's worse when i wake up. I will try hot compress again, do you think twice a day would be enough? and should i follow with cold? also would you expect it to settle within 3 months?

Thanks,

Lynette

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lynette,

Twice a day should be fine.

At this point, hot is better than cold as you are trying to get your body to remove the fluid/swelling not to reduce any inflammation etc.

Three months should be plenty of time.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having :(

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest