Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My son was just shot in the eye at close range with a nerf

My son was just shot in the eye at close range with a nerf gun. He had blurry vision in the eye to start with, and after 5 minutes, his vision is improving. His eye is visibly red, but no worse than getting dirt in ones eye would produce. We had a cold pack on the eye. We don't have emergency eye services available after hours. What do you recommend?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. How old is your son? Is there any blood covering the colored part of the eye?

He is 7. No blood is covering the colored part of his eye according to my RN wife.

Dr. Dan B. : I would recommend continuing to use cool compresses on the eye. In addition for irritation, I recommend using artificial tears 4 to 5 times per day. If he develops sudden severe eye pain, significantly decreased vision, or blood covering the iris, he needs to be seen in the emergency room. Does that make sense?

That makes sense. His vision is still improving but is still a little blurry with no pain. Is there any further cause of concern. Initially his eye hurt, of course.

Dr. Dan B. : I would say as long as his vision is close to normal, his pain is improving and is not severe, there is no blood covering the iris, and the pupil is round, then I think he's likely out of the woods. He should be able to take Tylenol for pain for this if he needs to though.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?

That's what we needed to know. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX don't have any further questions at this time.

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Good luck and good night. I wish him well. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!