Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have of blurred vision and episodes of one eyelid that eventually completely closes and

I have of blurred vision and episodes of one eyelid that eventually completely closes and recovers over a period of 10 days or so. This has been happening over 7 years. I have no pain. Some days the blurred vision seems worse than other days and I need to tilt my head back and to the side to see clearly. The vision to the sides, top and bottom are nearly always blurred but to the front is ok most of the time.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Do you have any other symptoms?

Are both eyelids affected at one time or another?

Have you been examined by an ophthalmologist?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There doesn't appear to be other symptoms except my eyes seem to water more when I have an episode. The episodes of droopy eyes seem to occur when I am ill or run down. My eyes will not focus and when one eye is looking at a person for instance, my right eye is looking in another direction. Some days are worse that others.

Only the left eyelid droops

My ophthalmologist was the one who diagnosed Myasthenia Gravis by putting an ice pack on my eye and the lid opened. I was due for a back operation in August but the surgeon cancelled it until I was properly diagnosed by a Neurologist. I was not happy with that as I have had 5 surgeries and 2 colonoscopies during the 7 year period without any trouble whatsoever. I am looking for another opinion.

I have diabetes but it is very well controlled with medication and diet and I am taking Mestinon, blood pressure and cholesterol medication.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After my last correspondence, you sent me some information but I only received your covering letter about the information being helpful. The information was not received.

Regards Roz

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Roz,

That is so weird. I typed an entire answer and all I see posted is a period :(

I must admit, sometimes the Gremlins that live in the internet eat answers....let me try again....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Roz,

Thank you for that extra information and, once again, please accept my apologies for my first response being eaten by the internet :(

My first thought when you told me about what is going on is that you have MS. Since this is, indeed, the case, no further workup is necessary concerning the etiology of your droopy eyelid.

I would strongly advise you to have the diagnosis of MS confirmed by a neurologist if your ophthalmologist and GP feel this is still needed.

Concerning your eyelid, since your ptosis (droopy lid) is intermittent and recovers full function after an episode, I would not recommend any type of surgical correction. If this were done you would have severe over-correction during your "normal" times, which could cause corneal exposure and severe damage to your eye.

The best way to take care of these episodes is to adequately treat your MS, diabetes and other medical problems.

Should your ptosis become consistent in nature and permanent then, and only then, would I explore surgical intervention.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I'm going to make a copy of this answer in Microsoft Word just in case the silly Gremlins eat it too! Thanks for your patience.

I wish you the very best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Rick. Your information is valuable. Did you mean MG as in Myasthenia Gravis or as you stated MS which is an entirely different matter?

Cheers Roz

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Roz,

Oops. Yes. I meant MG, not MS....sorry :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest