Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have been diagnosed with PNH about 6 months ago & was hospitalized.

I have been diagnosed with PNH about 6 months ago & was hospitalized. I received a blood transfusion while in the hospital and have been taking Iron & Folic Acid suppliments since then. I ran out of my suppliments about a week ago. I bought some more yesterday and started taking them again. For the last 3 days I feel weak, muscles ache & sore to touch, non stop headache, and my eyes & skin are yellowish. Various times I feel flushed. I don't have insurance. I am wondering if this constitutes a visit to the ER, a Urgent Care {possibly just get a shot}, or just rest at home & continue taking my suppliments?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 7 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

From what you have posted, especially with the color changes of your skin and eyes, you really should get medical attention today.

The ER would be the best venue but I can understand how cost might be an issue. As such, you could start with going to a Urgent Care facility but, bet that they will just send you to the ER :(

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Well I have a problem with Just Ask. I appreciate the fact that you are a Doctor and make your valuable time available. But when I submitted my question I selected a Blood/Heart Doctor. Once the system got my info and submitted my question, I ended up with an eye doctor. I really need to discuss this further with a Blood doctor {like I originally intended to do w/ this service}. You were prompt with getting back to me, and I am grateful. But I am not happy with Just Ask not putting me in touch with the correct doctor. How do I complain to Just Ask about not putting me in touch with the correct doctor?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 7 months ago.
Jeffrey,

I can tell you what probably went wrong. You mentioned yellowing of your eyes. Since regular medicine MDs really don't know much about the eyes you were sent to the eye thread.

To address your concerns, however, I am also an expert on the medicine thread where the blood/heart doctors hang out.....

If I didn't think I could have given you correct advice I would have not answered. You really need to see an MD today as you probably have a significant problem with your liver.

That being said, if you would rather hear this from a Board Certified Cardiologist I can have your question moved to the cardiology thread.

That being said, to complain how the system works you can contact the moderators at:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Let me know what you would like to do.

If, on the other hand, my advice has been helpful then....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

I wish you the very best and hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest