Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, I recently failed two color vision test, the PIP

I recently failed two color vision test, the PIP (11/14) and Falant (7/9) color vision test. On the two color vision test before in November 2004 and March 2010 I passed both. This is important to my job, and I was wondering what could cause my color vision to get slightly worse? My eye doctor said my eyes looked healthy and now I am trying to get a second opinion from another optometrist, but figured the more informed answers the the better chance I will have of figuring it out.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick! I was wondering what you thought about my situation?

Dr. Rick :

How old are you? Male or Female?

Customer:

28, Male

Dr. Rick :

Military?

Customer:

active duty military

Dr. Rick :

OK. Well, you are probably one of the 8% of males in the world who suffer from red/green color deficiency. (also called, wrongly, color blindness)

Dr. Rick :

The Farnsworth 100 Hue color vision test, given under controlled and specific lighting conditions by an eye doctor will tell you very accurately exactly what type, and to what degree, you are color deficient.

Customer:

I think my command is concerned with how I failed the test even though I though those numbers weren't that bad. Is there a way I developed it or how could my color vision have gotten worse?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. There are medical conditions that can cause loss of color vision but, at your age and without any other symptoms, it is most likely that you are just red/green color deficient.

Dr. Rick :

You might ask your command to have you examined by an Ophthalmologist and have the Farnsworth 100 hue test administered.

Dr. Rick :

I'm an Air Force brat myself. My father was a Full Bird.

Customer:

Small world lol! I will bring the Farnsworth test to them. This is for my commissioning physical and the only thing holding me up.The only thing I can think of is lots of laser lights and a few hits to the head over the years. My command I think is looking for reason to downsize unfortunately

Dr. Rick :

I do not think it is from exposure to laser lights or head trauma :(

Customer:

probably not, what did your dad do?

Dr. Rick :

I know that it has been tough the last few years in the Military with all the downsizing.....doesn't seem to affect Command levels though, eh? Go figure.....

Dr. Rick :

He Commanded the Dental Corps

Dr. Rick :

That is why I have perfect teeth....

Dr. Rick :

What do you do?

Customer:

hahaha, that funny! I'm an intelligence analyst for the next few weeks then once this gets fixed I pick again.I was thinking since the first couple of test only did a few cards maybe I got lucky through it but I will bring up getting tested.

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like a great plan. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Customer:

You too!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

bye