Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

On my right eye, the sclera near my tear ducts is jelly-like

On my right eye, the sclera near my tear ducts is jelly-like and I can visibly see a line or build up over my contact lens when looking in the mirror looking towards my right. There seems to be the same issue with my right eye as, but it is on the lateral side. It has been this way off and on for several weeks now. It does not hurt. I've tried going with out contacts for a several days but that doesn't seem to help. Is something I need to have examined or is there an OTC or at home remedy?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Do your eyes itch or have you been rubbing them?

It varies. Sometimes eyes do itch, but not constantly. I have been diagnosed with an eye allergy.

Dr. Dan B. : I think that you should be treating your eyes with an allergy drop. It can be an over-the-counter drop such as Zaditor or Alaway, or a prescription drop like Pataday. But this jellylike tissue you see is actually the conjunctiva which is ballooned because of the allergies. Cool compresses also will help this to get better. Artificial tears used 3 to 4 times per day can help your eyes also feel better. Does this make sense?

I have bepreve allergy drops, although I don't use them daily, only when my eyes are bothersome.

Dr. Dan B. : Bepreve is fine for this. If your eyes aren't itching or bothersome you don't have to use it right now but it would help this.

So the "ballooning" is just related to allergies and nothing that needs an exam?

Dr. Dan B. : Nearly certain. Of course I can't examine you so I couldn't say for certain but very very likely.

When I was first diagnosed with eye allergies (it was about 3years ago) there were bumps on the inside of my eye lid. Before I never had any issues until I moved to new area in my state. Since moving back to my hometown the allergy still occurs.

Dr. Dan B. : Yes, your allergy engine got started so now you're more sensitive to allergens in the air. Do you have any other questions about this?

Ok. Thanks for your help. That is all.

Dr. Dan B. : Great. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!