Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Rick. I have a question if u can answer it. My 5 year

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rick. I have a question if u can answer it. My 5 year old daughter at first was complaining from constant blinking, that got really iritating so her pedatric said she's got ticks and will go on its own. Then after she had them again but not as frequent i went to c an eye doctor he made her the test where they put drops to dialate her eyes then using this flash light over his head. And before that test they placed her head onto a machine and asked her to focus on a ballon inside. Then in the end she had an eye exam where she tells the letters and shaps she sees both with lights on and off. So he said she is long sighted put if she doesnt complain grom headaches then she can put underobsevation then the next time after a week where she complained that her eyes it self hurts said she wants to wear glasses then will see how it will help .. He prescribed her:
Right eye SPH +1.75 CYL +0.75 Axis 90
Left eye SPH +2.00 CYL +1.00 Axis 90
I heard from an eye doctor long ago that kids sight might come to point where it weakens but its not a must for them to wear glasses as wearing glasses will make them more weak cause by time their eyes will be better on its own. Cause this eye muscle needs to make itself stronger and by wearing eye glasses this muscle will weaken and rest.
So my question does she need to wear glasses putting in mind that her eyes stopped hurting and itching or would it be wrong from me if i choose not ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Wearing glasses, first of all, will not make your daughters eyes more weak or cause her any problems at all.

Dr. Rick :

Eye muscles do not need to make themselves stronger over time, nor will wearing glasses cause them to weaken or rest. This is just a wives tale. It does not work that way. :)

Dr. Rick :

I agree with your daughters eye doctor: She does not really need the glasses. That being said, since she wants to wear them and her symptoms have gone away since she started wearing them, there is nothing wrong with giving her the glasses and letting her wear them.

Dr. Rick :

Once again: Wearing (or not wearing) glasses with the prescription you posted will not hurt your daughters eyes at all. If she likes them, let her wear them. In the same light, there is no need to force her to wear the glasses if she decides she no longer wants to wear them.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You are doing the right thing and do not need to worry.

Dr. Rick :

Marc,

You can not go by what these essential oil companies say on their advertisements as all they are interested in doing is selling their product.

That being said, Young living and Mountain Rose are well respected brands and you can trust their products. I also like the products I get from Aura Cacia. If you are interested in organic essential oils I recommend those by aromappeal which are available on amazon.com.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Nirmeen,

Thank you for requesting me.

Dr. Rick says:
8:18 AM
8:20 AM
8:21 AM
8:22 AM
8:22 AM Customerhas entered this chat!
8:22 AM Customerhas stepped out of this chat.
Dr. Rick says:
8:24 AM
8:24 AM
8:24 AM
Marc,

Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Nirmeen,

Oops! Please ignore the stuff after Marc that talks about essential oils...that is from another answer I gave that somehow ended up on you post :(

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Have a good day.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr.Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haha .. Thanks for explaining i didn't get it at first .. It's okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She didnt wear them yet .. And her vision git better and hwr blinking nearly stopped suddenly.
So thats y i was asking if she wont wear them then i wont be harming her eye sight ?
And what if she wears then on a on and off basis would that harm her ?
I am sorry this is my first time using just answers so i am trying to find my way inside here. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Nirmeen,

No. It will not harm her sight to not wear the glasses.

Also, it will not harm her sight to wear the glasses....

It will not harm her sight to wear them an on and off basis..

Also, it sounds like your daughter was seen by an excellent ophthalmologist and I would continue to use his service and trust his advice.

Do you have any other questions for me this morning (although it might be afternoon on your side of the planet ;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haha. Yes it actually is 6pm on my side ! :)
Okay then thanks alot for ur advice.
Have a GoOD Blessed MoRninG to u Doc, Salam Alikom :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
My Pleasure.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you in the future. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,
Thanks for the follow up e-mail :)
My daughter is better thank God. She doesn't wear her glasses much, put i urge her to wear it at least while watching TV or I pad.
Concerning if i can ask another related question, i do actually :$
Can too much TV or I pad or any other screens help in weakening one's eyes ? Wither this person wears glasses or not ?
Thanks Alot.
Have a Great Day.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Nirmeen,

No. That is an old wives tale.

You can watch all the TV you want, play on the iPad all day long, stare at video games for days on end and you will not do any damage to your eyes what-so-ever. This goes for reading in the dark, too ;-)

You can safely do all of this with or without your glasses. No harm will be done.

If you want to mash the positive feedback button again that is up to you.....It is a pleasure to help.

Glad to hear that your daughter is doing well.

Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick MD FACS