Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, I woke up with blood in my right eye. The eye does not

I woke up with blood in my right eye. The eye does not hurt, I see no visual trauma or swelling. This bleeding happened 2 times before within last 2 months, once during the day and once in the morning ( waking up).
The biggest problem is I m abroad for a week, and medical help is going to expensive. could you help me figure out if i can wait till i return home or go see a doctor right now?
Maria.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to due to a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is likely to be from a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage. In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. It is self healing and will disappear within a week or two . In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision , watering, discharge from the eyes , do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.You can use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2 weeks , for soothening effect( available over the counter).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello Maria, though a subconjunctival appears very severe, it is a common eye problem without any harmful effect on the eye. I guess you can visit your ophthalmologist in case it persists beyond 2 weeks, once you are back from your trip abroad.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Maria,

I noticed that you have viewed the answer but not replied back or rated the answer. Does that mean that you were not satisfied with the answer? Are you looking for some more information? Please let me know as I would be glad to clarify any of your doubts.

Regards

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for a thorough response. I have a few questions about a subconjunctival hemorrhage.
I thought that the blood stays in the white part of the eye between the tissues, when it happens. In my case, the blood got discharged from the eye out. Does that happen in case of subconjunctival hemorrhage too?
I never had such experience before, however bleeding started happening semi- regularly within past 2 months. That's what is worrying me so much.
Could it be an infection instead/also?
An infection would have caused redness, wateting and discharge from the eye.Since you do mot have these symptoms, it is unlikely to be an infection. If the blood got drained out of the eye then it is possible that there could have been a tiny ruptured blood vessel with mixing of blood in the tears. However blood in tears is not very common but nevertheless seen in few individuals. Subtle trauma to the white part of the eye especially wearing or removing the contact lenses is the most likely explanation.

I hope that answers your question to your satisfaction.

Regards
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince