Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

My son is 16 years old nearly 17 and recently I have noticed

Customer Question

My son is 16 years old nearly 17 and recently I have noticed in the photos that he has a gold spot in both eyes, which I have seen in pics going back 9 months.

Also, in one of the pics his right eye is left eye is red but right eye gold.

Is it likely that he has something serious, will he go blind, is there anything that can be done about this, am I too late in catching this?.

I am really worried, please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 10 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Frankly speaking I would not be concerned about the reflex at his age ( 16 years). It so happens that the pupil might appear red due to reflection of the light from the flash of the camera ( gets reflected from the retina). However in some conditions of childhood ( before 6 years) there can be an altered reflex from the eye which might appear whitish. Such as white reflex from the pupil is called leucocoria. This is a matter of concern and should be evaluated thoroughly.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But you have observed a gold reflex from his right eye only ( not a white reflex) and that too only in photographs. If there was to be a problem, the reflex would have been obvious to look at ( apart from only in photos).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, I was in the middle of typing a reply when I received a negative rating from you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Could you please explain which part of the service was poor? Is it the content of my answer or is it something else? We are yet to begin with the chat and you have already rated me poor. Please let me know if you wish to continue with the chat further as I would be willing to do so......

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In my opinion it would be a wise thing to get your son's eye examined by an ophthalmologist including the dilated eye exam. This would definitely let us know whether the gold reflex from his right eye is of any significance or it is only a photographic artefact.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Hello Shani,

It was brought to my notice that you were unable to see my replies on live chat. Hence I have switched over to Q&A format so that you can view my answer.

I am sending it as a repost too.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
8/23/2013 at 10:04 AM (1 minute and 56 seconds later)

Dr. A.S. Desai : Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai : Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai : Frankly speaking I would not be concerned about the reflex at his age ( 16 years). It so happens that the pupil might appear red due to reflection of the light from the flash of the camera ( gets reflected from the retina). However in some conditions of childhood ( before 6 years) there can be an altered reflex from the eye which might appear whitish. Such as white reflex from the pupil is called leucocoria. This is a matter of concern and should be evaluated thoroughly.

Dr. A.S. Desai : But you have observed a gold reflex from his right eye only ( not a white reflex) and that too only in photographs. If there was to be a problem, the reflex would have been obvious to look at ( apart from only in photos).

Dr. A.S. Desai : Hello, I was in the middle of typing a reply when I received a negative rating from you.

Dr. A.S. Desai : Could you please explain which part of the service was poor? Is it the content of my answer or is it something else? We are yet to begin with the chat and you have already rated me poor. Please let me know if you wish to continue with the chat further as I would be willing to do so....

..Dr. A.S. Desai : In my opinion it would be a wise thing to get your son's eye examined by an ophthalmologist including the dilated eye exam. This would definitely let us know whether the gold reflex from his right eye is of any significance or it is only a photographic artefact.