Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I just went for an eye exam. The doctor saw some swelling

I just went for an eye exam. The doctor saw some swelling on my retina along with a broken blood vessel and some scarring. I am 56 years old and have noticed some trouble with vision in this eye for a year or two. My other eye has no problems noted. I have made an appointment with the retina specialist. What are the possibilities of what is wrong with me? Will I go blind? Will this affect both eyes? Do I have any treatment options?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you have any medical problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol?
Customer:

no high blood pressure, slightly high cholesterol, pre diabetic

Dr. Dan B. : How is your blood pressure doing on a regular basis? Do you check it regularly? If not what was it the last few times you had it checked?
Customer:

usually runs 124 over 70

Dr. Dan B. : The most likely causes are either macular degeneration with leaking/bleeding in the retina (wet ARMD), a diabetic macular edema (leaking/bleeding from blood vessels; and yes, I've seen this even in pre-diabetics) and a possible stroke in the retina. There are treatments for all of these problems depending on which it is after you have diagnostic tests. Does this make sense?
Customer:

yes...I just wanted to know if there is hope that treatment can help prevent blindness and will my other eye most likely be affected too?

Dr. Dan B. : Yes, there is definitely treatment available for all of these things. And yes, unfortunately, no matter which of these things it is, it's possible that all of these things could happen in the other eye at some point. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

no.. thank you

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Good luck to you. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!