911doc
911doc, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  board certified emergency physician
19155615

CustomerHello! My eye doctor on Monday August 19,

Customer
Hello! My eye doctor on Monday August 19, 2013! He told me that my cataracts in my left and right eyes had increased over the last year! He said that I needed surgery to have the left eye cataract removed! He referred me to a doctor that he knows and said or I can have it done at the Department of Veterans Affairs, Medical Center in Washington, DC do it because I am a veteran! I am also 100 service-connected disabled veteran! My question is I do not have an appointment!
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for your service. So the thing you need to do is get a copy of your eye evaluation from the doctor who diagnosed your cataracts. Make a couple of copies just in case. Set an appointment as soon as you can with your primary VA physician. They will need to refer you within the VA system for Opthalmology to see you and remove your cataracts. This may take some time, a few months probably, but the VA will have excellent eye surgeons that can help you.

Please let me know if you have questions about my answer, but I do work within the military/VA system and the referral for your surgery will have to be made by your VA primary care manager.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello 911doc!

Thank you I will get a copy of the records from the eye doctor!

My next scheduled appointment with my VA primary care doctor is September 23, 2013!

Do I try and get an appointment sooner?

I just saw the VA eye doctor around May 2013 for some eye tests!

I guess I am still a little confused as to what my next step will be!

Thanks in advance,

Customer/p>
I think your next step is to call the VA hospital in Washington DC, ask for the eye department, and tell them that you were referred to them by your eye doctor. Give them your name and then fax them your records if necessary. Ask them how long the wait will be for an appointment. Does that make sense?

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
With respect,
Dr Dan B is incorrect. You will be unable to directly schedule an appointment with the Opthalmologic surgeon at the VA without a primary care referral in the VA system. It is the system I work in.

If you call them you will be directed back to your primary care manager, so please do follow my advice on this one.

Your problem is not an emergency problem. There is no issue with waiting for your September appointment though there is no harm in trying to get your appointment sooner.

Best

911doc
911doc, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience: board certified emergency physician