Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, I have a large floater in my left eye. I am also getting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a large floater in my left eye. I am also getting flashes of light in my peripheral vision in the same eye. Has been occurring for approx 3 weeks. I can't get into my regular opthamologist for another 3 weeks. I have previously had 2 bad bouts of uveitis in my right eye (related to auto immune) but this feels different. Is it possible to have auto immune reaction that would give flashers and floaters? Or is it usually retina related? I've seen an Optometrist while I wait for my opthamologist, he couldn't see a retinal tear for which my symptoms are common but then said it wasn't conclusive and I should see the Opthamologist for a full check. I'm worried re waiting another 3 weeks. Is it urgent?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the floaters and flashes of light are not associated with any sudden abrupt blurring of vision as if you were to be looking through a curtain or a veil, then it is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a good idea to get a thorough eye exam done by an ophthalmologist and it should be alright to wait for 3 weeks ( very unlikely to be due to retinal detachment as it would have been noticed on the dilated eye exam by the optometrist).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The floaters and flashes are unlikely to be related to auto immune reaction.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a brief note on PVD-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers. The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice. PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I found this really helpful actually. I'm getting a mild headache - does that occur with PVD? It doesn't feel migraine related (I have had those previously and this flash completely different).

Hello Catherine,

No, headache is not a feature of PVD. The flashes of light could have been due to the PVD whereas the headache could be a totally different issue ( if not migraine then it could be a common tension headache/ sinus related/ stress).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist