Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is it normal for my 11 week old girl yo have a weepy eye. Sometimes

Is it normal for my 11 week old girl yo have a weepy eye. Sometimes it gets crusty and sometimes not. I have been massaging the inner eye after each wipe
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like your daughter is suffering from nasolacrimal duct obstruction (NLO).

The good news? 95% of the time this resolves on its own by the time a child is 1 year old.

Here is some information on this condition:

Epiphora is diagnosed when the baby has a watery eye all the time that is not associated with crying. Nasal lacrimal duct obstruction (NLO) is the most common cause of infantile epiphora and occurs in about 5% of babies. In NLO the tear duct does not open at birth, usually due to a small flap (valve) of tissue blocking the end with the remainder of the lacrimal system being normal. On rare occasions a secondary bacterial infection (dacryocystitis) can set in causing a yellowish, purulent discharge. Antibiotics, along with gentle massage, would be indicated in such a case.

Non-infected NLO is treated with lacrimal sac massage using the parent’s index finger to gently push on the corner of the eyelids toward the nose with the hope of causing enough hydrostatic pressure to snap open the obstruction. The majority of cases either resolve spontaneously or with this simple technique.

If dacryocyctitis is present, or if the NLO has not resolved with the above treatment by about 4 months of age an evaluation by an ophthalmologist is indicated. In the office the ophthalmologist can do a nasolacrimal duct probing which resolves the issue in over 97% of cases. If this does not work a silicone tube can be threaded through the lacrimal system. This tube is then left in place for approximately 6 months and resolves the NLO in approximately 99% of cases. This procedure is usually done in the operating room under general anesthesia.

And here is a good webpage you might find interesting:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/views/june06/blocked_tear_ducts.html

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your help. It was very helpful indeed

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Tammy,

My pleasure. I hope your daughter gets better soon.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

And Congrats on the new addition to your family!
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest