Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What is Narrow Angle Glaucoma and how serious. What is the

What is Narrow Angle Glaucoma and how serious. What is the treatment?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Normally the aqueous humour( fluid inside the eye) is produced behind the iris ( colored part of the eye) and passes through the pupil and finally exits the eye through the angle of the anterior chamber ( called as the trabecular meshwork or TM ).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In angle closure glaucoma during mid-dilated pupil , there is contact between the iris and the lens which prevent the aqueous from passing across the pupil ( pupil block).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This causes a rise in intraocular pressure(IOP), clouding of the cornea causing blurring of vision, closure of the angle of the anterior chamber.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In order to prevent recurrent attacks, laser iridotomy is done so that a tiny opening is made in the iris which allows the aqueous to flow into the anterior chamber and then to the TM. Thus bypassing the pupil block.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If left untreated, it can cause a serious threat to the vision ( chronic angle closure causes a persistent rise in IOP and then permanent damage to the optic nerve).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For an acute episode, miotics and IOP lowering medicines are given. For prevention of repeated episodes laser treatment is given.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I have replied specifically to each question asked.If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist