Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I hit the left corner of my eye with the edge of a clothes

I hit the left corner of my eye with the edge of a clothes dryer , my eye is completely nlood shot . What should do? No vision impearment just aslight head ache from the hit?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Is the redness confluent like a patch if blood or is it a bunch of red lines?

The entire eye is covered in apatch of blood no red lines

Dr. Dan B. : This sounds like this is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This is essentially a bruise on the eye, except on the eye the tissue that the blood is underneath is transparent so you see the blood exactly the color it is, versus a bruise on your arm which is hiding beneath layers of skin. As long as the vision has not changed and there's not significant pain or discomfort, I wouldn't worry too much. I would recommend, however, using...
Dr. Dan B. : cool compresses a few times per day, and Tylenol or ibuprofen as needed. If for some reason your vision starts to decrease significantly then you should see your eye doctor right away. Does this make sense?

yes, how long before this clears up please?

Dr. Dan B. : Like any bruise it can take a week or so before it fully clears, on average. Maybe longer if you're taking substances that thin the blood.

No blood thinners , just blood pressure and throid meds

Dr. Dan B. : Okay then I wouldn't imagine any more than a week or do. Do you have any other questions about this?

Thank you , I will be patient and clesr compress, I work on a computer all day will this worsen it?

Dr. Dan B. : No this shouldn't worsen it. I hope this has been helpful.

Gave me piece of mind , that you l;ast question coll water comprees , no eye drops like Vusine?

Dr. Dan B. : No, visine drops that get the red out will do nothing for this but if you want to use artificial tears for lubrication that is fine.

Cool water compress ? It is tearing a bit?

Dr. Dan B. : Yes. A cool wet washcloth can help stem some of the bruising. What do you mean by is it tearing?

Like when you wake up in the morning just alittle

Dr. Dan B. : Are you asking whether you would expect it to tear a bit in the mornings?

no it is tearing just a litllte somehwat like when you wake in the morning.

Dr. Dan B. : I would expect that and using artificial tears and the cool compresses will likely help that.

Thank You sooo much for your help, I really appreciate it! I will take your advice and see what happens in a few days. Have a good evening!

Dr. Dan B. : Youre welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!