Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I havent had any problems with allergies in about 5 months.

I haven't had any problems with allergies in about 5 months. I used to take Zyrtec everyday for season allergies but found that I really didn't need them unless I was in a different climate like the mountains or deep woods. I've been clear and haven't had any problems with stuffiness or sneezing or anything like that. Yesterday I was playing a show at a local coffee shop outside and everything was fine until after i stopped playing. I was talking to some friends and all of a sudden my face starts to swell up and my eye lids swell and close up, my lips swell up as well and pretty soon people are worrying and tell me i need to take some Benadryl. At this point my skin start to itch and all these welps and hives start to form all over my body. My skin turn a bright pink sun burned color. My father takes me to the emergency room after I start having trouble breathing and my heart is racing. I get there and they inject me with steroids and Benadryl and its all fine after that. I went through my memories of everything that i had eaten durning the day and it wasn't much. A turkey sandwich, a banana, a whole avocado, lots of water, tropicana apple juice. I had a sip of my mothers Blackberry tea as soon as I got off the stage right before the allergic reaction. The only thing i question is the avocado and the blackberry tea but I eat avocado all the time and i usually get the house tea which is blackberry from the coffee shop. What could have caused this reaction? I really want to know because it was scary and I don't want it to happen again.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I can fully understand how you feel. You had a very severe, possibly life threatening, allergic reaction.

From what you have posted, I feel that the most likely trigger was the blackberry tea. There may have been something extra that she put in her tea (sweetener etc), some contaminant in the glass her tea was put in, or you may just be allergic to blackberry tea from now on.

It is not unusual for a patient to suddenly become allergic to something -- a food, soap, medication, etc -- they have been taking for years. This may be what happened in your case.

Due to the severity of your reaction I would suggest you talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for a epipen just in case you ever have another severe reaction like this again.

You might also want to consult with an allergist for testing to see if she could narrow down what might have caused your severe reaction.

I am very glad that everything turned out ok :)

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest