Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have a papilloma on my left lower eyelid. I got this confirmed

I have a papilloma on my left lower eyelid. I got this confirmed by an eye doctor. I also got diagnosed with the HPV virus on my last pap. Are these two things related? Ihow likely is it that I will get more warts on my eyelid?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Dan B. : You are correct. The same virus that causes the genital lesions also causes these wartlike lesions on eyelids. However, they are not necessarily related. This virus is ubiquitous. By this I mean that is very common in society and these papillomas on eyelids are also very common.
Dr. Dan B. : However I think this is coincidental that you have this diagnosed on your Pap smear, but also have it on the eyelid. I don't think this makes you any more likely to get more of the lesions on the eyelid, but it is certainly possible. However, it is possible for someone who does not have this virus in their genital region to have more than one papilloma on the eyelids. Does this make sense?

yes, it makes sense.

my eye doctor didn't seem too concerned about it. should I?

Dr. Dan B. : No. Not at all. These are very innocuous and almost never cause problems.

ok good. :) thanks. I just worry about things.

Dr. Dan B. : I understand. Do you have any other questions about this?

my eye doctor said that she will just monitor it. but my eyes don't look dry, my retina's are good, and my eye pressure is good

not really. is it likely that i will get more too?

Dr. Dan B. : I think it is unlikely but not impossible. I wouldn't worry about this though. Plenty of bigger things to worry about :)

ok, cool. thanks for your help. :) I appreciate it.

have a good rest of the weekend.

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. You do the same. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

ok, sounds good, I will give you an excellent rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just have a quick follow-up question. Is the virus on the eyelid a std?

No; it's not considered an STD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i figured out finally how i got the issue with my eyelid. i went for a makeup consultation at end of june. after that is when it appeared. the manager told me today he does not know the protocol about cleaning the tools and eyeliner between clients. bad sign right there. thanks for all your help. i truly appreciate it.

My pleasure. Good luck.