Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am 64 years old obese blonde blue eyed. Had a liver bx done

I am 64 years old obese blonde blue eyed. Had a liver bx done on the 14 of august 13. I was told I had cirrohosis of the liver and the specimen showed 595. I WAS TOLD YEARS AGO I HAD A FATTY LIVER. My liver function test from 8/8/13 Bil total 1.8 AST 55 and ALT 58. I am not having any symptoms, no jaundice and no RUQ pain. Total cholesterol is 211. Triglycerides 128 HDL 58 VLDL 26 with LDL Calc 127. A1C 6.1 with avg 128. Vitamin D 24.5.
I just need help in understanding where I stand and how I can manage myself until I am able to get into a physicians office. The next available appt is two months away. Please, help me to understand how i can fight this illness.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Lab values vary a bit from lab to lab. Do you know the normal values for the lab that did your testing? They are usually printed on the report.

Dr. Rick :

That being said,using my hospitals normals, your bilirubin, AST, and ALT are elevated.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to tell on your vit D as you did not give the units used......

JACUSTOMER-hvo0x8ni- :

I am not asking about my eyes its my liver.

Dr. Rick :

Your triglyceride levels are not bad

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I noticed that.....but I am also an expert on the medicine thread. Would you like me to continue or, if you would rather, I can opt out and another expert can help you. Let me know what you would like me to do.

Dr. Rick :

I see you have gone offline....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 8 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 8 months ago.
Charlene,

Would you like me to continue to assist you or would you rather work with an internal medicine only MD?

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Look I am so upset with this dx I was given and I need an answer as to what shape my liver is in. I have researched until I am purple. Am I going to die with cirrohosis, do I have a chance. If you can lead me by telling me what I need to do to know what 50% cirrohosis of liver means. I know it is a large organ and can repair itself if not destory

..I take 2,000 Vit D and 1000 Vit E. My question is how much is 50% cirrohosis in the liver.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 8 months ago.
Charlene,

I fully understand how upset you must be and I am here to do everything I can to help you.

I'm sorry that your doctor has given you such a vague report. 50% cirrhosis of the liver is not a very medically descriptive report. :(

That being said, your Liver function tests are not that terrible at this point....I would not rush to feel you are going to die from this.

A personal friend of mine just happens to be one of the worlds experts on liver disease and medical management of liver transplants. He is based in Houston, Tx. If you want, I can give you his contact information.

But, please, let me ask a few questions:

Do you know what the pathologists report said concerning your biopsy?

There should be a dictated discussion of the findings.

Concerning the value of 595 that you listed this does not make sense to me as it does not fit into the usual numerical grading values of either staging systems for liver disease (Knodell or Metavir)

Can you tell me a bit more about what is going on with your liver? Do you have Viral hepatitis etc?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hep A, B, and C came back normal. I had Hep b series in the 80's again in the ninetys and I had the Hep A 1990 when it first came out via military prior to desert storm. Just repeated hep c was negative.

I saw the picture of my liver and it was bumpy just like cirrohosis. I also would like the name of you friend how does transplants.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 8 months ago.
Ok.

To directly answer your question: You do not need to fear that you are going to die in the near future from this liver issue, nor that you need to go onto the transplant list tomorrow.

What is clear to me, however, is that you need a doctor who will communicate with you a lot better.....

My friend Howard is just that type of doctor. If you gather up all your medical records, biopsy results, and consult with him and his team you will quickly fully understand everything that is going on and what possibilities lie in your future.

Now, in November, we all go to Nebraska bird hunting so he is out for a couple of weeks then ;)

Here is how you can contact Dr. Monsour:

http://www.methodisthealth.com/mcldt.cfm?id=35631

Here is a video he did on fatty liver disease that,while it may not apply directly to your issue, you might find interesting if for nothing else then to see Dr. Monsour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4dJ8KbzZ7U

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 7 months ago.

I was wondering if you had a chance to contact Dr. Monsour. I hope you are getting the information you need so that you can get your liver back online.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr. Rick