Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I hope you can help me, I have visited an eye doctor, but he

I hope you can help me, I have visited an eye doctor, but he was not helpful.

For about 2 months now I have been experiencing extreme eye pain in the night. I don't have trouble in the daytime, but after I have gone to sleep I am awakened suddenly with a poking pain as if there is something in my eye. It is only my right eye and it feels as though there is something in my eye for about 10 to 15 minutes, then it goes away and I go back to sleep. This can happen several times a night or sometimes only once a night. A few nights I have had no problem at all, then it comes back a few days later. My eye does not look irritated in any way, no redness or swelling, no matting or crusting.

The eye doctor I visited gave me some artificial tears and said I had a recurring corneal abrasion. This has not relieved the condition and is becoming quite aggravating.

I don't want to go back to the same physician as I don't feel I was helped or listened to.

Have you ever heard of something like this? What can I do? I am worried that letting this go on will result in something more serious or compromise my vision.

Please help!!

Thank you,
Shelly
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. What is the name or brand of the drops you were using? How many days of the week and how often werr you using them?
Customer:

I am using a product called "Blink" and I use them every night before bed. I also will use them during an episode.

Dr. Dan B. : Thank you for the additional information. While it may be possible that you're having a recurrent erosion or recurrent abrasion syndrome, if that is the case then treat the treatment he recommended would not be useful. The treatment he recommended that you are doing to be more useful for dry eye syndrome. It is certainly possible that you have this dry eye syndrome, but if you do, it would be important to Use the artificial tears regularly 3 to 4 times per day, every day, for a few weeks to affect change in the eye. Alternatively, if this is not working, you very well may have a recurrent erosion syndrome, but you would need to use an over-the-counter drop or ointment called Muro 128. If you use the drop form you would need to use it for times today, or if you used ointment form you could just put it in the eye at night. Does this make sense?
Customer:

Yes, this makes sense. I will try the Muro 128. Will this help to heal the erosion or just alleviate the pain? Also do these symptoms sound like they could be related to any other more serious condition? I am in good health in every other way.

Dr. Dan B. : No. I don't think these symptoms sound suggestive of anything more serious. I think this is either the recurrent erosion syndrome, which using the ointment will help, or a dry eye syndrome, which would be helped by using artificial tears consistently. The ointment for the recurrent erosion syndrome would help anchor the epithelium of the cornea down and help slow and stop the process which would help the pain. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Alright, thank you. I will try this and hope it helps.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B. : I noticed you were still in the chat room and hadn't pressed any feedback buttons yet. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Dr. Dan B. : If you're trying to save a copy of this transcript, There should be a link on your page that says 'share'. If you hover your cursor over this, it should give you the option to either print out or email the transcript to yourself. If that fails, I would recommend just selecting the text with your mouse cursor, hitting Ctrl+C, and then opening up a word processor document such as Microsoft Word, hitting Ctrl+V (paste) and that will allow you to keep the transcript.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology