Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Good morning, I am trying to research online what I woke up

Good morning, I am trying to research online what I woke up with this Saturday morning when no eye doctors' offices are open! The white surrounding the iris of one eye is swollen like jelly, red, and "goupy" feeling. Not watering, not itchy, but has made under my eye very swollen. There is nothing in there, but I did eat some white pizza last night, that when doing so, felt very harmful to my body, so I stopped... I am a fairly health conscious vegetarian eater, with rare dairy consumption. (Just makes me wonder if what I ate has caused this). I believe in Chinese medicine, the eyes are strongly related to the liver. Also, for about a year now I have noticed a small amount of this jelly swelling, not ever red though, usually in my other eye. When I went to him about that, my eye doc had never seen anyone with that issue before. Thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your description sounds more like conjunctival chemosis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The white of the eye with jelly like swelling is likely to be conjunctival chemosis which can occur in case of allergy/vigorous rubbing of eye/infection. You can put Alaway/Zaditor eye drops, 1 drop twice a day for 1 to 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Food allergy could have caused these symptoms.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the lower part of the eye is swollen, you can take tablet.zyrtec, 10 mg, 1 tablet once at bedtime for 4 to 5 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The swelling of the white of the eye and below eye part will subside with the above medicines. Both are available OTC and can be taken safely for the said period.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that make sense?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is ther anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

Is conjunctival chemosis different than episcleritis?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, both are entirely different.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Episcleritis is inflammation of the episcleral tissue and is associted with pain, redness of the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Conjunctival chemosis is painless and can be seen in many eye conditions including allergy.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any more questions to ask?

Customer:

I'm curious that when I went to my eye doctor for this minor (not red) swelling that I have almost every morning in the far corners of my eyes, he had never seen it before in his patients. It always fades away within a few hours of being awake as this BIG swelling is doing now... I believe I am pretty healthy (I try to be a living example of what I preach as a yoga teacher) and so reading that this issue may be related to an autoimmune issue worries me.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If it were to be related to an auto immune disorder you would have experienced more eye symptoms such as pain and redness of the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be better to consult an allergy specialist in case you do have any known allergies.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If Alaway or Zaditor eye drops do mot give the desired relief then you can consult your ophthalmologist for a possible course of olopatadine eye drops.

Customer:

Good suggestions. OK then, I shan't worry too much! I'll blame this morning's issue on the pizza cheese and stay away. And perhaps follow up with an allergist about the recurring every morning wrinkly eye whites. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge in this manner. I had never heard of this before, only found you as I ended up reading someone else's eye concerns discussed with you. Very nice to know such a service exists. Again, thank you ~ savor your day!

Customer:

One more question, if you are still there... my son, has suggested I inquire about a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide in the affected eye? Safe? I know it is good for so many things...

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince