Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes a few months ago.In

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes a few months ago. In the morning when I turn on the lights over my mirror, and when sunlight strikes from above, I get a glare in my right eye only that practically obscures vision. When I switch from eye to eye, it appears to me that the left eye sees more light than the right. The right eye sees things a tad dimmer.

I asked my doctor why it took one half hour to do left eye, and the right eye took one hour.(or a little more).

His response was something about eyes that had surgery before.

Three years prior I had a macular hole and the fluid was removed and replaced with gas.  result was fine.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

Good morning...

Customer:

good morning back at cha

Dr. Rick :

Hold on a second...someone is at the door and the dogs are going nuts....brb

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I'm back. Thanks for your patience...

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

Your surgeon is correct. As a retina surgeon I can tell you that it is more difficult to do cataract surgery on an eye that has had a vitrectomy....so he went slower and was more careful.

Dr. Rick :

As to the glare, did you have a multifocal lens placed in your eye?

Customer:

no,

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Do you have this glare at any other times?

Dr. Rick :

Also, I would expect your macular hole eye to see worse then the other eye....

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that the glare is from something called a posterior capsule opacity. This can be fixed with a simple laser treatment at the doctors office that takes about 5 minutes.

Customer:

Not that is so noticeable. Usually bright light does it although I think I see halos with the right eye around garage light on my way to work.

Dr. Rick :

I would not rush to have the lens explanted for these issues as you are at significant risk for being left with worse issues after a re-do.

Dr. Rick :

I'd have your surgeon check you for issues with your posterior capsule before doing anything else.

Customer:

Is PCO something that the doctor can see?

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad to hear that you ended up with good vision after your macular hole surgery. That is a procedure that I do a lot and I can tell you not every patient is so luck.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is very easy to see after your eyes are dilated. He wouldn't be able to miss it....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Ok I will have him check for POC. The literature says the laser treatment can damage the retina.

Dr. Rick :

That is completely wrong. This I can say with 110% certainty

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can answer for you this morning?

Customer:

ok, thanks doc. nothing now

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Hi Steve,

I was just thinking about you and wondering if your surgeon found a PCO.

I hope things are better.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future.

Dr. Rick