Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Rick~ I did get Dr.Desai and she was very nice~ she

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rick~ I did get Dr.Desai and she was very nice~ she also wondered to why I did not get an implant done~ she agreed high eye pressure would be risky~but mine is under control with drops~does blepharitis make your eyes sore~if I do have that~ my cataract eye tonight feels sore and I took my contact out~I am getting so tired of not getting one that feels good and also has good vision~it is either one or the other it seems~I don't know if my Optomitrist knows what she is doing~ she suggested I go back to my old one for now and I hate that~ as it is old~dryness may be one problem~or maybe too much computer use~plus I kept changing the contact to one or the other~does natural tears help in such a situation~maybe after a night's sleep I will feel better~Martha
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis does not, in and of itself, make your eyes sore, but it can make you eye less tolerant of your contact lens.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Natural tears will help.

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad you thought Dr. Desai was helpful. She does a very good job of answering questions...even retina ones :)

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hope she does not steal your job then~since she can answer retina ones :-) you are supposed to be the expert on that~ Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I think that I'm safe...she is on the exact opposite side of the planet :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I have been talking with Dr. Desai~I don't think that you have to worry about her taking your job~as I asked her if she ever heard of polypoidal~ she did not seem to know much or anything about it and said to ask you~ as you are the Retina Expert~:-)

I find her knowlegable to a point about contacts~but she sort of scares me~ since my right eye sees real close with no glasses 20- 20- vision and yet I have to wear glasses for distance~she said first maybe glaucoma damaged that eye~I told her the Specialist~like her~ said the optic nerves were fine and no damage was done ~then she said maybe I have a cataract in it~ the Optomitrist said I had a baby one and yet the Specialist said I did not~ when she asked for my prescription I called and got it for her~ she seemed to know that it was not caused by a cataract considering the axil and so on~ too complicated for me~ now she is saying maybe it is macular degeneration~when I told my Doctor about my sister~ who at that time I thought she had that~ she said I did not have that~ cannot an eye have good vision up close and not for distance~ my parents did not wear glasses until older age~for far and close~I never wore them all these years and now I need them for the right eye for distance~or a contact also works well~ except I can't get it in and out~ I need more practice~I am used to the thicker kind~I think the vision is 20- 30 in that eye~ and 20- 25 in my aphakic eye~or the opposite~I see well with my glasses in my right eye and close objects without them extremely well~even what people can't see with reading glasses~she had a name for this too~ she has me scared to death that now I have macular degeneration in my right eye~I was worried enough about glaucoma~ without this added stress~I was having a real hard time getting my original contact for my left eye~each one the Optomitrist got did not work or feel good and they stopped making mine she said~it must have been only Canada~ as I saw them on line and my son has a friend in the USA~ apparently you can get it there~ so he was nice enough to let us order through him~is my vision hopeless or are some people's worse~ she made me feel like I was not normal~ you always make me feel good~:-) Martha~ Sorry this is so long~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

Sorry she scared you. I do not think you have macular degeneration so I would not worry about that :)

Your vision is not hopeless and, yes, many peoples vision is much, much worse than yours.

I think Dr. Desai was just saying all these things because she really doesn't know you very well and, sometimes, if people don't know you, your posts can get kinda confusing ;-)

So. What is the take home message?

1. You are fine. :)
2. Don't let what Dr. Desai said upset you.
3. Have a good weekend.

Dr.Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~Since I am your favorite customer you are probably just saying this to make me feel good~:-)the Specialist does not want to see me for six months~so hopefully that is a good sign~I think people from India don't understand our language or way of wording things either that well ~plus they don't seem to have a sense of humour like you do~ which puts a person at ease~maybe she did not understand half of what I wrote~ as she asked questions that I made quite clear in my messages~she just did not seem to be getting the story right~ hopefully these messages are PRIVATE~ or do all Doctors see them~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I would never do such a thing......I'd give you bad news if that were the truth :)

As to our messages being private, they are available for all experts who answer questions on the medical thread to review if they want -- that is how we keep up quality as other doctors can see if one is not giving out quality advice.

So, while they are not really private, and I think that they can be searched for, there are not tons of folks lining up to read our chats...even though they are full of Wisdom and Sage Advice that would make all who peruse them better in all respects ;-)

Have a good weekend.

Dr.Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~I thought that you might be missing me~ since I have not bothered you for some time~:-) I was re- reading Dr. Deasi's comments to me and she says because I see 20- 20 up close that is not considered as such and really is H6 or some such name~it is the distance that counts~she also seemed to feel having such good close vision at my age was not normal and thus something had to be wrong~ my having a cataract or she had another name for my eye~do you see this ever in your practice~I need a -5 I think for distance and a contact also worked well~then I could not see close without reader glasses~is this situation very abnormal~having no lens in the opposite eye is also a nuisance~I find wearing glasses makes me a bit dizzy~ as one side has a clear lens~I guess my main concern is my seeing EXTRA good up close with my right eye and yet far is hazy without glasses does not sound real normal to me~ or I don't think it did to her either~as I said she kind of scared me~I did not have to wear glasses for my right eye until now~ would age have something to do with this~ as many older people seem to see well far and not close for reading~that seems more the norm~ Say Hi to Fletcher~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I do not agree that there is anything wrong with having clear near vision at your age...or any age. I'd not worry about that.

There is no reason to be scared....you are seeing fine just the way things are.

Fletcher say's Hi back :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks~I also meant to ask you if it is possible to put too many or too much glaucoma drops in your eyes~I have to put them in alone and sometimes I feel that I have missed~so I try again~ does the eye pocket only hold so much is what I am meaning~or can you over dose on them~that is another thing that Dr. Deasi said that bothered me~ she said because my Doctor prescribed three different drugs for my eyes ~the Lumigan I only take at bedtime~she feels that I must have glaucoma~ or she suspects it~ yet she said to me that I only have high eye pressure~it came down so fast in four days with that medication~anyway my Doctor in N.B. only prescribed one and the pressure never went below a 22 or so and not a 12 as it was this last time~maybe these are silly questions~plus perhaps I worry too much~I wish I had your personality~you seem like a happy go lucky type of person~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

Usually it won't hurt to put in an extra drop if you think you have missed...you won't overdose :)

If you are on those drops then, yes, you can consider yourself to have glaucoma :)

Make sure you have an ophthalmologist (eye MD) taking care of you and not an optometrist.....

Have a good weekend :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wonder why the Ophthalmologist said I did not have glaucoma when I asked her~ she said I just had high eye pressure~ which was 37 at the time~ she called it Glaucoma suspect~ as my Doctor in N.B. did as well~11 years ago~my Optomitrist referred me to her~when she saw the pressure go up~Martha~ She said it is only considered glaucoma if there is damage to the optic nerves~which did not happen~ was she wrong then and just did not want to tell me~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

A pressure of 37 in your life means glaucoma. Glaucoma suspect means high pressure with no signs of eye or vision damage from glaucoma (kinda...the real defination is more complex).

But, if you IOP was that high you have glaucoma, but are just lucky to have caught if quick enough to not have damage.

Sorry about that :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Maybe you are right~ you are smarter than me~maybe it did cause vision loss in my right eye then~for distance~she also said people can have low pressure and still have glaucoma~I am confusing everyone I guess~maybe that Dr. Desai was right then and she scared me to death~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
You should not be scared.

I promise. You are doing fine.

:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~~I am just curious ~ did you change your Profile picture~or are my eyes playing tricks on me~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I changed the picture.....

Which one do you like better? "studies have shown" that customers like larger face shots.....

So I changed it.

Let me know what you think.

That picture was taken when I remodeled 9 eye lanes back in 2007. I put a phoropter (the thing in the background with round knobs) in one room at the request of my (then soon to be) younger partner. As retina specialists we really don't check glasses Rx's and I didn't want one, but hey. Gotta keep the new guy happy :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure which one I like better~I almost would have to see them side by side to figure it out~ but I noticed a change right away~I think the background of the other one looked more Professional ~ so maybe it is that added big knob thing that the new guy wanted :-) Were you younger in the other picture or this one~Martha~When I know I will let you know~a Deal???

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I was younger in the other picture I think....

Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well you don't look old in this picture~I think it is showing more of your face and the other was a side view?? I find you actually look younger in this view and the other one was more professional looking~ but because I can't see them side by side I am not sure what I mean~is it a beard maybe I see or maybe my eyes are not seeing right~it does not matter what I think that is for sure~I think it is the beard that makes it look different ??? Which ever picture you have up you are a nice looking guy~so friendly looking and I liked your face right away~ so now my secret is exposed~I tried to make excuses to ask you things~as I liked your approach~ and your face~:-) Martha~PS~I just saw the other view at the beginning of your Site~I know now what makes it look more professional~you see more of your Lab Coat and your face looks the same~but the equipment looks more professional~in the new picture it almost looks like you might be smoking a pipe~there is something in the background near your mouth~ so now I know~I like the first one better if that matters at all~ like you I am a honest person~I say it as it is~it would matter more what your wife liked better~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I see what you are saying about the instrument near my face.

I'll switch back and you see what you think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MUCH BETTER~I like this one better~I would be interested to know what your wife liked though~Martha~You look more important too in this photo~:-) I wonder if you agree with me now that you see what I noted~thanks for taking the advice of old woman like me~:-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

My wife liked this one too :)

Thanks for your help....you're the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This proves that women are much smarter than men~:-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ya....right ;)