Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My grandmother has been suffering from the effects of a floater

My grandmother has been suffering from the effects of a floater for about a year in her left eye. She was seen by an eye doctor who diagnosed her with posterior vitreous detachment and retinal tear in the same eye. The doctor recommended laser surgery to fix her problems. Two weeks after the surgery she was unable to see from that eye and was diagnosed by a different doctor with a retinal detachment. Can laser surgery to repair a floater and tear cause a retinal detachment? Was the surgery indicated to begin with to fix a floater? I understand these are common in individuals especially older folks. She is 72 now and was 69 at the time of the laser surgery. Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Generally lasers are not considered causes of retinal detachments. I suspect that she suffered a retinal detachment despite the best effects of the laser. It is a retinal tear that puts her at risk for a retinal detachment. While floaters and posterior vitreous detachment are common, retinal tears are much less common and retinal detachments are rare but more common in the setting if a retinal tear.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

It makes sense but is not sensible because I thought the laser surgery was specifically done to prevent the detachment, which occurred anyway. Would her original physician have taken an image of some type, like an x-ray for the eyes, during his physical examination to document the area where the retinal tear was located? How about the day of the surgery? Would this be a normal thing for a doctor to document, an actual image of what it was that he was going to treat? For example, an orthopedic surgeon usually does not operate on a knee without first obtaining some type of imaging study to identify the injury for which surgery is indicated. Thanks

Dr. Dan B. : It is reasonable to think that this would be a standard thing to do. However, because the view to the retinal tear is usually unobstructed, I suspect that most surgeons do not take photographs of the area to be lasered, usually because it is so far peripheral that it would be difficult to take a picture of, and also because there is nothing to obstruct the view of surgeon to see this area. An orthopedic surgeon cannot actually see the pathology that he's operating on during an examination which is why he has to get the X-ray before he goes to surgery. Does this make sense? You have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Thanks for your thorough responses.

Dr. Dan B. : Youre welcome. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology