Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Every single time I look at a computer screen, I get a horrible

Every single time I look at a computer screen, I get a horrible eye headache. It's like, my actual eyeballs hurt. If I try to ignore it, I get nauseaous. Sometimes this happens when I'm watching tv as well.
I don't have to be on the computer long for this to effect me - I would say under an hour. I can usually watch television for about two hours before I start to get the eye-aches.
Once I do either of these two activities, I can't really do much with my eyes for the rest of the day. For example, reading will give me a headache.
I wear reading glasses, but they may be the wrong prescription? I don't know why that would be effecting me while watching tv though.
I've tried eyedrops - both Rohto and Systane, and neither have really done me much good.
I would just like to know what's going on, because it's really inconvenient and frustrating.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Hi! Thanks for responding. I am available.

Dr. Dan B. : So the glasses you are wearing over-the-counter 2.50 strength reading glasses? Are you using these for all of your visual needs such as reading, TV, or computer?

Yeah. I use them for reading, writing, and the computer. Not for the TV though since I'm generally sitting pretty far away from it.

Dr. Dan B. : Did an eye doctor prescribed you to be using that strength for those activities? Or was this something you did on your own volition? How long have you been using those glasses?

A little over a year ago (Spring of 2012) I made an appointment with an eye doctor because I was getting really bad headaches which lead to nausea anytime I read or used the computer. His prescription was 1.50. I bought a pair that were that strength, but didn't really feel much improvement. I continued using them until about January of 2013, then finally decided to try a different prescription since I was still getting the headaches. I've been moving up one strength since then. I got the 2.50s maybe back in May? I've been using them since then and other than with the computer, I don't really notice much a problem unless I'm doing close-up visual activities all day.

Dr. Dan B. : I do suspect that the glasses you're using right now are incorrect for you. Unfortunately I do think you need to go back to the eye doctor to get an accurate prescription and also a complete examination to make sure there's nothing else wrong with your eyes is causing this pain and nausea.does this make sense?

It does. Would that explain the pain from watching TV though? Could I be having trouble with distant vision as well?

Dr. Dan B. : You could be having trouble at distance and and near. That would explain both TV watching problems as well as near vision problems.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer: I don't think so. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Good luck to you. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!