Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

hello, I have been wearing colored contact lenses since the

hello, I have been wearing colored contact lenses since the beginning of august. It's the first time I wear contacts and I have -2.0 in each eye. I've been wearing glasses for two years and after taking several antibiotics, and oxybutynin during winter, my eyes have become sensitive to the light. I wear a hat 24/7 indoors and outdoors because when I look at the light, my head starts to hurt and my vision blurs. I got my eyes checked out in May, and I was prescribed some eye drops for dryness. I got systane, Fluca, and this other one called optic something which comes in little tubes that you squeeze liquid out of into your eyes apparently it's for folic acid and vitamin b12, based on what I remember, and I have to put 4 drops in each eye.

My problem is that the day before yesterday, my left eye has been producing a thick line of green mucous (eye wax) every hour or so. It leaks down to the side of my nose, and dries up quickly. No matter how many times I rinse my eye, it just gets thicker. I'm using all three eye drops but I still don't know how to stop it. The vision is also blurred in my left eye, and I've also had a headache for the past two days, though I'm not sure if the two problems are related. I'm not sure what else to do.

Much help appreciated thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Is the eye red? Are you still wearing the contact lenses? Was the eye doctor you saw an optometrist (OD) or ophthalmologist (MD)?
Dr. Dan B. : It is quite likely that you have an infection in your eye. For this reason, it is important to discontinue use of the contact lenses for now, and see your eye doctor. You will likely need some antibiotics to clear this infection. It is also possible that this is not a true infection but something called contact lens induced keratitis. contact-lens induced keratitis. This can happen in contact lens wearers whose corneas become irritated by the bacteria in their tear film and the toxic products these bacteria produce. These bacteria are normally found in everyone's tear film (or layers of tears that coat the eye). However, this isn't a common thing seen in the general population, because many people don't wear contact lenses. The contact lenses tend to be effective trappers, keeping these bacteria and their inflammation-inciting toxins trapped against the cornea, causing the cornea to breakdown and succumb to inflammation and infection. The very first step in treating this is to refrain from using the contact lenses for at least a week, but sometimes it requires being out of them for even 2-3 weeks. However, in most patients, this isn't enough to make it go away. Most people will then require and antibiotic/steroid combination drop to help encourage the infection and inflammation to go away. To that end, I would recommend visiting your ophthalmologist to get a complete exam and to get the medicine you need for this--unfortunately you can only get this medicine with a prescription from your doctor. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

My left eye isn't red or itchy. The vision is just a little blurry and produces thick eye wax. If it's red all the time and starts to become irritated is that the start of the infection? I only wear the contact lenses for a couple of hours in the evening. As for the headaches, could it be caused by switching from glasses to contact lenses everyday? I also remember last Monday that I accidentally put my right contact lens in my left eye and I've just stuck with this till now. I didn't think I should switch them back. I do clean them twice with the solution before putting them in.

Customer:

I just have to wear contact lenses till august 21 due to very important meetings and events I have to attend overseas. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Dr. Dan B. : Your headache could be from a multitude of different causes. While it is possible that the headache is associated with the eye problem, is just as likely if not more likely that your headache is from some other reason. Unfortunately, I do think that this may not get better unless you cease using the contact lenses for several days. I do not think that putting one lens wrong eye has caused this though. And yes, a red eye that is producing discharge is likely to have an infection.
Customer:

I stopped wearing the contact lenses and it seems to be doing better. The vision is not so blurry. I also stopped using any eye drops today because for some reason I thought that maybe the bacteria would grow more in moist surroundings? and my eye seems to have calmed down now. I also took Clarinase for allergies, so it's not itchy and red anymore.

Customer:

When will I be able to wear contact lenses again? I'm thinking of just plain ones with -2.0 instead of colored ones, because I was fine on those during July.

Dr. Dan B. : You can certainly try those different lenses. But I would give yourself at least a week out of the lenses to make sure. Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
Customer:

That's all. Thank you!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology