Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Enablex is contraindicated against glaucoma. I used five months

Customer Question

Enablex is contraindicated against glaucoma. I used five months without knowing. What harms would be done on my eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When did you undergo the glaucoma surgery?

JACUSTOMER-bjg3xx8l- : Yes . Sept last year
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Enablex would not have caused any damage to your eye as you have already undergone surgery for glaucoma.

JACUSTOMER-bjg3xx8l- : Then why is it contraindicated for glaucoma?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Moreover it is contraindicated in severe angle closure glaucoma. After glaucoma surgery ( trabeculectomy with iridectomy) there is no risk of angle closure glaucoma.

JACUSTOMER-bjg3xx8l- : Yes I got the named surgery but my vision has been less then pre surgery level. Thank you and I have to expect my leaky bladder.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Enablex is a muscarinic antagonist ( which can cause similar effect on the muscarinic receptors present in the eye thus resulting in dilated pupils which precipitate angle closure glaucoma in predisposed individuals) .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Trabeculectomy is aimed at keeping the intraocular pressure(IOP) under control and to prevent any further damage to the optic nerve from it. It is not done to improve vision . So it is not surprising that your vision has not improved after trabeculectomy. The worsening of vision after surgery could be due to development of early cataracts.

JACUSTOMER-bjg3xx8l- : My other eye is blind with dial aged pupil. I am thankful doctor. I have to go out. If you have any help pls send an email. Bye now now.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. I totally agree with your ophthalmologist that you can continue to take the tablets as prescribed without worrying about any damage to the eye from it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you do not have any more questions to ask, I will exit from the chat. This information will be saved in the Q&A mode and can be viewed as and when you want to.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist