Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, Ive been experiencing a dark spot in the middle of my

Customer Question

Hi, I've been experiencing a dark spot in the middle of my left eye only during night. I don't notice any difference during the day or even in dark rooms. Any thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since how long have you been experiencing this symptom?

Customer:

I use computers quite frequently, and read every night on my iPad, so I wonder if this could be contributing to something as well.

Customer:

ummm...over a few weeks maybe?

Customer:

I had been reading the iPad with all the lights turned off, but decided recently to stop doing that.

Customer:

I've also noticed some near-sightedness (is that when distant objects are fuzzy?) when using my computer for a while and stopping. it takes a while for my eyes to adjust to distant objects.

Customer:

I also have episcleritis that I treat with Humira and haven't had any symptoms of that since 2009.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your symptom is unusual since it is obvious only at night. But it is very unlikely to be due to reading the iPad . Blurring of near fonts is not uncommon if the print is held close to the eyes as this occurs due to the receding of the near point with age.

Customer:

I also only really notice it when it's at night, and I'm looking at windows that go out to the night sky. So, I don't notice it in the darkness itself. Does that make sense? Only when there's some moonlight coming through the curtains.

Customer:

I was concerned about retinis pigmentosa.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It does take time for the eyes to adjust to distant objects .Though presbyopia ( a gradual decrease in the power of accomadation which makes near vision blurred) is observed around the age of 40 years, it can occur earlier too.

Customer:

that makes sense. Would it happen in only one eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a hereditary retinal dystrophy which causes night blindness.

Customer:

it's the opposite. i have problems w/ far objects, not near objects.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It can only be diagnosed after a dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

none of my family has blindness that I know of.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But you can focus clearly for distant objects after a while, right?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is your distant vision 20 /20 in both eyes?

Customer:

as far as my last eye exam -- back in 2006? I don't use any corrective vision.

Customer:

and haven't noticed any changes apart from the ones I've described to you.

Customer:

no, it was 2009, sorry.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you find blurring of vision if you read books held at 14 inches at present? At what distance do you hold the iPad usually? Are these symptoms seen in the same eye which was diagnosed with episcleritis earlier?

Customer:

I've had episcleritis in both eyes. I have underlying autoimmune conditions (Crohn's, ankylosing spondylitis) and that's why I take Humira. Blurring of vision mostly happens, yes, when the book (or laptop) is close to my eyes and I've been using it for hours.

Customer:

I'm a BIG computer user/reader (for my work), so I probably read more than most people.

Customer:

but i haven't had any inflammation in the eye (like no episodes) since 2009.

Customer:

that's why I got the eye exam, btw, to see if there was any damage associated w/ the episcleritis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. There is a possibility that your near point of vision is gradually receding which explains the blurring of vision for near. However a thorough eye exam would confirm this . Since your last eye exam was way back in 2009, a routine eye exam should suffice. In the meanwhile it would be better if you would use lubricating eye drops as you are at a risk of developing dry eyes from excessive use of computers.

Customer:

what about the night blindness stuff? is that concerning? I suffer from anxiety, so any symptoms make me look up crazy diagnoses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are NOT night blind. A night blind individual would not be able to see anything in the dark ( you only have blurring of vision while holding your iPad close to the eyes).

Customer:

no -- I'm fine w/ the iPad. I have a blind spot when I turn off the light to go to sleep at night. I notice it when I look at the windows and see the moonlight.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Moreover RP would have been detected even in 2009 if it were to be present.

Customer:

I don't have any blindness with the iPad. My symptoms are: some blurriness of distant objects after reading for a while and the dark spot.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I thought the spot might have been caused by reading too much w/ the iPad when there was no other light on.

Customer:

not blind spot, dark spot

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does the vision clear up within minutes or does it take longer?

Customer:

more hazy, just in total darkness.

Customer:

I don't really try to clear the vision. I think it probably takes longer.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Has it been going on every night since a few weeks?

Customer:

I'm not totally sure about every night, but I've noticed it several nights, yes.

Customer:

I did read that night vision issues could be caused by nearsightedness, which (as we've been talking about) I've also experienced.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well , the intermittent nature of the haziness ( not observed every night, with clearing of vision after sometime) makes it very unlikely for more serious eye problems such as RP ( which you were worried about)/other retinal problems. If the retina would have been at fault, your symptoms would have been more or less constant.

Customer:

well, I feel like they've been more or less constant. I tend to go to sleep before noticing them clear up.

Customer:

But, as you said, RP would have shown up in 2009?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes

Customer:

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case it makes sense to get a routine eye exam done by an ophthalmologist including the dilated eye exam( so as to have a closer look at the back of the eye).

Customer:

ok...anything I should have them look for specifically?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would be interested to know if there was any early cupping or raised intraocular pressure and whether the optic nerve and retina were fine. Once these are diagnosed to be normal, it lessens the concern about any major eye problem. Later only lubricating eye drops to tackle dry eyes would do.

Customer:

ok, thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nevermind. :) Thanks again for your help.

Hello Roger,

Sorry for the delay in replying back. Do get a contrast sensitivity test done too.

Thank you and take care