Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Dr. Rick....after cataract surgery...lasik? Hi, Dr.

Dr. Rick....after cataract surgery...lasik?

Hi, Dr. Rick. You just answered my Paleo eating question, so I thought I'd ask you this one, too.
In about 2002 I had cataract surgery on both eyes (I was a little young, but possibly genetic cause). At the time, the surgeon said there was a lens he could implant that would have the effect of bein vari-focal, but it was new and he didn't have a lot of experience with it. So, I chose to go with the "standard" lens. As a result, I still wear glasses all the time, varifocals, because I can't see things close to me. I also have astigmatism.
Recently, my stepmother had cataract surgery and the surgeon did a little extra which was supposed to correct for the astigmatism in her eye. Actually it didn't work perfectly, and it looks like she'll still have to wear glasses.
My question is, is it possible for me to have some sort of procedure so I can give up the glasses? Like lasik or...something I don't know about because my cataract surgery was a while ago? On the one hand, glasses don't really bother me, and the thought of having someone mess with my eyes when it's not really necessary is a bit unsettling. On the other, the possibility of reading without glasses is so nice!
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The procedure your Grandmother had was probably called limbal relaxing incisions. This helps to get rid of mild astigmatism and is usually done at the same time as cataract surgery.

You can have this done even now but you will still need to use glasses for near work. LASIK really won't help with your situation. One way to solve both your near and distance vision problems would to have your current lens removed and a multifocal lens put in its place.

If I were you I would leave well enough alone. In my opinion you don't have much to gain and you have a lot to loose should thing to wrong.

The laser you had in the USA is called a Yag laser posterior capsulotomy. It is a common treatment after cataract surgery as the bag that holds your artificial lens in place can sometimes become cloudy and blur your vision. The YAG laser is a safe, effective and permanent solution to this issue.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

It is bedtime here so have a good day on your side of the planet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much! Now I remember the term "Yag." :)

And thank you for your honest opinion. I think wearing a light prescription is a good compromise, and I agree that it's not worth risking messing with my eyes again since I've been happy with the results I've had so far.

Do you remember the episode of I think "The Twilight Zone" where the man who loved to read was locked in a bank vault during his lunch hour when a nuclear disaster wiped everyone out? He was so happy because he could just read for the rest of his life---until his glasses broke! I think about that sometimes. Not that I expect that to happen, but I've been without my glasses sometimes and it's been a hassle.

However I think the solution to that is to have lots of spares!

Anyway, thank you again for your excellent help, and good night!