Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello. A year ago I had Restor3 lenses implanted; post op

Hello. A year ago I had Restor3 lenses implanted; post op my vision was blurry and I was told that I needed YAG to smoothe out wrinkles in the eyes. YAG made the right eye significantly worse so I did not have it on the left. Over time my vision has gotten blurrier and blurrier. I am now told that all these procedures on my eyes have disturbed the vitreous material in my eyes and that's the reason for blurred vision. I am now 20/40 in both eyes, a year ago post op I was a blurry 20/20 and 20/25. I use restasis for dry eyes. A retinal specialist says no evidence of retinal disease, the implants seem to be correctly positioned. I am in good health, not diabetic, an active 61 years old.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that you have been examined by a retina specialist and your retina is OK.

Customer:

Puzzled as to why this is happening. I do a lot of close work, , reading, needlepoint, etc.

Dr. Rick :

I am also guessing that your cornea was fine on exam, as was the rest of your eye.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the problem is most likely with your restore lenses. Not that they are defective but rather that they just don't work for you.

Dr. Rick :

This happens and is due to the unique design of the restore lens that allows you to see all distances, supposedly without glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, severe dry eyes and blepharitis could also cause blurry vision.....

Customer:

They worked better at first, though. I was farsighted before the surgery. I suppose I am stuck with them since it has been so long and I had Yag in one eye.

Customer:

My eyes are really dry, I have a lot of allergies . .

Customer:

Also have very dry eyelids.

Dr. Rick :

But I sure don't buy the statement: "disturbed the vitreous material in my eyes and that's the reason for blurred vision." That reason from your eye doc is a bunch of bull pucky, as you learned after seeing the retina doc

Dr. Rick :

You are not stuck with them.....

Customer:

Could restasis be the problem, as an experiment I did not use it this am and depth perception seems slightly better.

Customer:

I do have a lot of debris in my eye . .

Dr. Rick :

If, after you get the dry eye issue better, you still have poor vision, the restore lenses can be explanted and standard monofocal lenses put inside your eye.

Customer:

Isn't that very tricky since I have had YAG on one capsule?

Dr. Rick :

Probably not....it sounds to me like you would benefit from a consultation with a cornea/external disease specialist to better treat your anterior segment/dry eye issues.

Dr. Rick :

It is not as easy as the primary surgery but it can be done.

Customer:

At this point I am very afraid of losing what vision I have . . .

Dr. Rick :

As a retina surgeon I do not recommend vitrectomy for floaters/debris except in rare cases

Customer:

My retina specialist says the same thing

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that completely....consider seeing a corneal specialist

Customer:

Thank you so much!

Dr. Rick :

We all think alike :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

I wish you the very best.

Customer:

I have been getting a lot of bs from the eye surgeon, he avoided me on my last appt, tried to pass me off to an associate.

Customer:

What should I ask the cornea specialist?

Dr. Rick :

I would never go back to that guy and tell all your friends the same. Sounds like a jerk

Dr. Rick :

Tell him just what you have told me. He will be able to find the issue on exam.

Customer:

Already done. Can you explain though why my eyes have gotten worse? I am considering a malpractice action against the surgeon, after first eye did now work out I wanted to stop and assess but he told me that the first eye would not work well until the second eye was done. Also told me that since my eyes were so much better, I could see the floaters better, that was the problem. He is treating me like I am stupid . . .

Dr. Rick :

Without doing a complete eye exam (which is hard to do using chat as my only tool) I would just be guessing as to why your vision is down. That being said, since you retina is OK I would say it is a combination of your dry eye and the restore lens.

Dr. Rick :

He does sounds like a complete jerk. What I like to call a "cataract cowboy"....only do surgery and not care after that. A pox on our profession.

Dr. Rick :

A malpractice action, however, would probably be an exercise in frustration as it is not illegal to be a jerk....but you could ask a lawyer.

Customer:

After my surgery his pattern of lies became apparent . . he has an excellent reputation and has helped a lot of individuals.

Dr. Rick :

Yup...until he has problems. I bet other eye docs in the community know all about his ways and think poorly of him.

Dr. Rick :

Are you in Dallas by an chance?

Customer:

I know it it not illegal to be a jerk . . my husband is an attorney and has been present for all my exams. However, I do think the doctor erred in advising me to proceed with the 2d surgery. I am in the NW corner of SC, the doctor who did my surgery was Lawrence Roel.

Dr. Rick :

Don't know him. Well, in any event I bet your husband would give you a discount on his legal fees ;-)

Dr. Rick :

Just went to his website. Don't know him...

Customer:

Also the surgeon advised that my brain needed to adapt, so advised against removing the restor in a timely fashion. I am probably not going to take any legal action as I just want to get this resolved . . but if my insurance will not pay for the explant surgery I feel he at least should reimburse me for the second surgery. I understand that "stuff happens" . . but when it does, admit it and help fix the problem.

Customer:

The first surgery was "stuff happens . ." the second one, I guess I have myself to blame for not getting a second opinion.

Dr. Rick :

That has some merit....but stay away from this guy.

Dr. Rick :

I don't like his listed hobbies anyway lol!

Dr. Rick :

He doesn't seem like a problem fixing kinda guy....

Customer:

Yes, I certainly will! I think at one time he was very good but his ego has gotten in his way! He suggested more YAG to fix my continuing problems and I backed off! He has helped a lot of people . .

Customer:

I appreciate your help, Dr. Rick . . . final question, why would vision worsen one year post op?

Dr. Rick :

but not you....I don't think he is a bad surgeon, just not one that wants anything to do with patients once they leave the OR

Dr. Rick :

I would first think of retina problems..no an issue in your case. So, I think it is going to end up being an anterior segment/dry eye problem (hence cornea consult) and/or issues with how your eye/brain works with the restore lens. Not everyone can adapt to it.

Dr. Rick :

So. check/fix cornea first. Then,if needed, consider a lens exchange.

Customer:

But my brain did seem to adapt initially . .

Dr. Rick :

then it may be more of an anterior segment issue.

Customer:

I will get a cornea consult as you advise.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good plan.

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 8 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.