Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP
July 25th during a root canal of my upper left molar (second from the back) the endodontist pushed calcium hydrochloride past the root and into my maxillary sinus. My dentist prescribed clyndamiacin (I am allergic to penicillin and cephlasporins) and a 6 day course of Prednisone. The day after I took my last prednisone, I began to have SEVERE pain in my sinus along with intense pressure in my cheek and above and behind my left eye. I went to an ENT on the 28th. He did a CAT scan and discovered a pretty nasty infection in that sinus. He prescribed another round of Prednisone (starting at 60mg/day tapering) and since the clyndamiacin wasn't helping with the infection, he prescribed Biaxin which I've been on for 2 weeks now. Friday, I took my last dose of the prednisone, and over the weekend all the pain and pressure returned along with a debilitating headache, dizziness, nausea, and blurred vision. I went to the Urgent care center and he gave me a steroid shot and something for the nausea. Monday (yesterday) I followed up with my ENT and he redid the CAT scan. He found that the infection has not improved and has once again requested I change my antibiotic (this time to Bactrim) and put me back on a 60mg non-tapering dose of prednisone. He also intends to do a balloon sinuplasty (within 7-10 days) and clear out as much of the infection as he can because I have a blockage that isn't allowing for drainage. I am of course concerned about antibiotic resistance and being on 3 different types of antibiotics for such a long period of time. My question is, since I have about a weeks worth of the Biaxin left would it be better to just finish that off and hope the infection clears after the sinuplasty; go ahead and switch over the Bactrim; or just stop with the antibiotics all together since the don't seem to be helping anyway? Also, this prednisone is wearing me out. It's the only thing that stops the pain, but I get severe flushing, a marked increase in anxiety, and have even had 4 panic attacks since Ive been taking it. What's the best way to take it to mitigate some of that anxiety? split up during the day or all at once in the morning? And is there anything else I can do to limit the side effects of the prednisone? Can I take just 30mg of the prednisone if it stops the pain instead of the full 60mg? PS: I was working with a dentist on this forum (Dr. Mark Bornfeld). He is the one, thankfully, that suggested I see an ENT for the sinus situation.
EDIT: Not sure why this question was put in the EYE category when I selected Medical doctor :/
Thank you for your answer! I was hoping for a different one I'm tired of all the medication I'm on because of this incident (not just the prednisone), but I do understand. I'll continue with the prednisone and the new antibiotic. Both the pain and the panic attacks are miserable, and it's hard to decide which is worse. I do have one more question tho. I've heard that most sinus infections are actually not even bacterial. Is it possible that could be the case with me and no antibiotic would work anyway?
Oh, I forgot to mention that also the prednisone is really messing with my blood pressure. Generally, it's around 110/65 - ish. Since I've been on the prednisone it's been consistantly 140/100. Is there cause for concern with this?