Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Ive been hearing different professional opinions on this..

I've been hearing different professional opinions on this.. but is it okay to wear contacts (daily ones) to swim? What about to a water park where the eyes would get splashed for sure sometimes but no necessarily submerged in water?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

Hi. Yes

Dr. Dan B. : I think we have to differentiate official and technical answers versus what may practically happened to you if you did these things. Technically is a bad idea to wear contact lenses when any public water exposure is likely such as in a swimming pool, hot tub, or natural body of water. The reason...
Dr. Dan B. : The reason for this is contact lenses can trap microbial pathogens beneath the contact lenses and against the Cornea and as the contact lenses decrease the amount of oxygen that the Cornea receives, this cuts down on the cornea's ability to fight infection. The significant virulent strength of these pathogens combined with this decrease in the corneas defenses to fight off infection puts the eyes at risk for serious infection.
Customer:

ah.. I see

Dr. Dan B. : That being said, many people use or contact lenses and either one of these situations and don't ever get serious infections. However, all it takes is one infection for the eye to be seriously compromised. So officially, I would recommend never wearing contact lenses where you expect to get water from one of the sources in the eye. Does that make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Got it

Customer:

so technically, I can't even wash my face with contacts on?

Customer:

since some water would likely get into the eyes too

Dr. Dan B. : For the most part, this is usually okay because water out of your tap is generally not as contaminated as water in swimming pools, hot tubs, or natural bodies of water.
Customer:

Got it

Customer:

thanks so much!