Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I found a website which allows me to buy A frame for my eyeglasses

Customer Question

I found a website which allows me to buy A frame for my eyeglasses and the prescription filled at the same time. The only thing I'm worried about is the measurements. How do they adjust the frame for your glasses without seeing you? Is that very important? Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : You've hit the nail on the head. By doing this online, you do not have the opportunity to have the frames adjusted to fit your face. Hopefully, there is a local optical shop that can do this for you once the glasses armada sent to you. But this is certainly the risk when doing this online. Chances are if your glasses are uncomplicated, then you will likely not have a problem doing this. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer :

I'll save a lot of money ordering them online. I have a prescription for progressive glasses, I have a little astigmatism, but mostly for reading. I've been filling out my prescription glasses at Costco, since their prices seem reasonable for progressive, but I dont know how good their quality is. Online they give me the following choice. What should I choose?

Customer :

Higher Quality Lenses
Essilor Ovation Upgrade $29.95 (additional)
Kodak Progressive Upgrade $49.95 (additional)
Varilux New Comfort $79.95 (additional)
Varilux Physio $119.95 (additional)
Superior Digital Lenses
Kodak UNIQUE Digital $139.95 (additional)
Varilux Physio Enhanced $139.95 (additional)
Varilux New Comfort DRx $159.95 (additional)
Varilux Physio DRx $179.95 (additional)
Dr. Dan B. : Honestly, I think the optical shops at Costco do a pretty good job of feeding glasses for relatively good price. In my estimation, you're just as likely to come out the same or better by using the Costco optical rather than choosing one of these sets of lenses and hoping that they fit your face. As to which of these two sets of lenses//frames would be the best choice, I have to plead ignorance as I'm not an optician and don't order and fit glasses/ frames on a daily basis.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?