Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Something dripped off the ceiling in a departmemt store and

Customer Question

Something dripped off the ceiling in a departmemt store and hit me on the face and a tiny bit went in my right eye. When i wiped off my face was watery clear but little brownish could be rust or dirt i dont know. I rinsed my eye when i could and used blink tears. Then i went and got eye wash. Its not red or anything but worried since i dont really know what it was.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long ago did this happen?

Customer:

about 1130am

Customer:

i didnt feel any pain or stinging but i have a bad anxiety disorder so am starting to get worked up

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds from what you have posted that your eye and vision is OK right now. Is that correct?

Customer:

its 3pm now here

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contacts?

Customer:

yes vision is fine the whole time. most of it hit my nose an little tiny bit splashed into r eye so when i wiped my bridge of nose off i saw it was clear but little brownsish could have been from an ac unit in ceiling or just roof water from rain

Customer:

no contacts

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The good new is that your eye has a host of physical and chemical defenses to protect it against stuff like this. Since you eye feels fine (it wasn't acid etc) now I really think you are going to be OK

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You will be fine and shouldn't worry.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

so even if it was a little rust or something still ok? i mean my vision is clear and no redness. it feels mostly fine a teeny bit irritated but that was only AFTER i started putting drops and things in it

Customer:

i used blinktears which i keep in my purse and then got eye wash from drug store and rinsed it multiple times

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Even if it had a bit of rust in it, was full of bacteria etc. you will be fine. As you noted, the eye wash probably irritated things more than anything else.

Customer:

yes it seemed once i started playing with it i felt it a little bit burning sensation

Dr. Rick :

I'd just not put anything else in your eye so it can get back to normal.

Dr. Rick :

Playing with it could cause the burning sensation all by itself.

Customer:

ok so i will lay off the sdrops and eye wash

Customer:

drops

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like a good plan.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you this afternoon?

Customer:

thanks dr rick. my usual optomoterist is off today

Dr. Rick :

Glad I could help. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

if i dont have to worry im happy :)

Customer:

same to you

Dr. Rick :

Then you are happy :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dr Rick quick question, i cant remember my last tetnus booster do i need to run out and get one?

That is an excellent question and, no, there is no need to go and get a tetanus booster for this issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

whew! thanks :)

My pleasure.

Have a good weekend :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thank, you as well.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.