Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi. Rich here. CSR, Buckle, DMD, recent cataract with high

Hi. Rich here. CSR, Buckle, DMD, recent cataract with high IOP post-op. Just keeping you in the loop. POD-1 IOP was 34, POD-6 IOP was 30. Yesterday, I was giving a deposition (always a relaxing event) and after looking at Docs and answering questions by friendly people, (17 days post-op), I had severe visual distortion in the operated eye. I abruptly left depo, went to eye doc covering for him, diagnosed with ocular migrain (lasted 20 minutes total) and IOP was 20 ! How's by you?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am happy with an IOP of 20 :)

Dr. Rick :

I get migrains too...

Customer:

Thats what neuro-ophth told me (he was on call).

Customer:

He gets ocular migraines too

Dr. Rick :

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Dr. Rick :

Now that I am older I don't get them as often/

Dr. Rick :

Are you a lawyer?

Customer:

That is how it happens for me as well. I had it about 5 times total. But this was not even 3 weeks post-op cataract and I last had IOP of 30 so I went stat to doc. Dentist with CSR, laser OS, buckle OD,

Dr. Rick :

Oh, ya. I remember now. That's good, 'cuz I think it might be against the the Code of Medical Ethics to keep a lawyer from going blind lol!

Dr. Rick :

'ya know, protect the public good and all that....

Dr. Rick :

:)

Dr. Rick :

All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Is your vision still in the 20/60 range?

Customer:

Oh yeah, right. It was over a stupid condo issue anyway, not even anything impt

Customer:

yes. I check it on my iPad app and actually have a 3 week post-op visit scheduled Monday, and hopefully will get my new Rx so that I can be 20/60

Customer:

I was 20/400 pre-op

Dr. Rick :

That would be great. Well, have a good weekend and drop me a note later in the week and let me know how things turn out on Monday.

Dr. Rick :

Ya....and going to be happy with 20/200!

Dr. Rick :

You got a cherry on top!

Customer:

Ques: I read online ( I know TMI) that the ocular migraine is caused by retinal vessles messing up. With hx of CSR, and Buxkle, any long tertm stuff? Neuro-opyh was thinking carotid artery ultrasound. I think not :)

Customer:

right !

Dr. Rick :

Not related at all.

Customer:

So, I can blame it on the lawyers !!!!

Dr. Rick :

I don't think for a classic ocular migraine symptoms a carotid ultrasound is necessary.....

Dr. Rick :

sue the basturds!

Customer:

Been 17 days. OK to go tot hte pool now?

Dr. Rick :

(misspelling intentional)

Customer:

i understand

Dr. Rick :

Yup. Swim away.

Customer:

greeat. and SCUBA diving wait how long? (I'll ask cataract doc for sure)

Dr. Rick :

As a SCUBA diver since 1978 myself I really think you could dive now....but probably best to give it at least 4 to 6 weeks post op. Why that long? Not really sure...just feels like a safe time to wait to me (medicine is like this more than you know :)

Customer:

I have a trip planned Oct 5 to Curacao. SUrgery July 23. Better half wants me to wait longer (RN)

Dr. Rick :

Nurses are like that.....especially when in the "wife" mode. You will be more than fine by October.

Dr. Rick :

as far as your eye is concerned....

Customer:

thanks !! and thanks for everything. I'll keep you informed. Be well. Go play

Dr. Rick :

Will do. You too.