Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I think my son has a drug addiction.Symptoms; mood swings,

I think my son has a drug addiction.Symptoms; mood swings, he can be on top of the world and a few moments later very depressed, at times very aggressive,at times very,very tired and other times no sleep at all,money disappearing,a lot of hatred, feels like no ones cares for him, writes a lot about death and hate for himself,cannot hold a job. tells a lot of lies, depressed ,very bad eating habits (doesn't eat for days).
Eyes mostly red
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long has this been going on for?

Does he have any medical problems or take any medication?

Other than talking with a pastor, what steps has the family and you taken?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi dr. Rick

Thank you so much for helping me. Ian has had GERD about 3 years ago,and he is aenimic(hope the spelling is right).

He broke up with his girlfriend of 4 years in the beginning of the year. It was quite a bad time for him.Thats when I started noticing that his whole

personality was changhing. He then met another girl and things seemed to be ok again.the last 7 weeks were really when things went downward. I did a drugtest and the results were negative, but his urine was as white as clean water..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He doesn't take any medication at this stage. My husband works away from home. We only see him more or less every 8th weekend, so he is not really here to help me with Ian. I have spoken to numerous people about what I should do. I have tried talking to him to admit that he has a problem, with no success. I also did 2 home drugtests, both was negative.At this stage I try to keep the situation as calm as I can, not to provoke any aggression from him. I have also banned his friends to come to our home, as I believe they have a negative influence on him, because they do take drugs.his sister who is $ years younger than him has taken him into her friendship circle to help him make new friends. We have encouraged him to take up karate again, as he already has his first black belt, but he is not interested. Dr.rick please help me to help my son. all I want is to have my son back. I cannot just leave him, although he is nearly 24 years old.

It sounds like your son may have psychiatric problem, perhaps bipolar disease etc.

As a father of 5 myself, I understand how you must be feeling.

You really need to get him in for psychiatric evaluation,especially with his thoughts/writing about death and self-hatred.

If he will not go willingly you may have to involve the police and have him taken to the ER by force for a evaluation. This is called a 5150, and is used to help those who are a danger to themselves.

So. What to do? Call a local psychiatrists office, explain your concerns and ask that they see your son right away. You can also ask them for local resources available to get your son in for evaluation and treatment. Make sure your son goes in for this appointment.

If that doesn't work, call the police and ask for their help.

From what you have posted, it is my professional opinion that your son's life is at risk.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear dr. Rick

Thank you so much for giving me the information. Now I know what to do to help Ian.He is so much more than what he is showing right now. I truelly believe that with this information he will be the young man again that I know he is.

please carry on with the good work. I will let you know what the outcome of all this is.

I'm glad you will have a chance to get Ian back on track.

I look forward to hearing from you

Dr. Rick