Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Rick~I have not bothered you in a while~ :-) I was wondering

Hi Dr. Rick~I have not bothered you in a while~ :-) I was wondering about my cataract eye~ it was done 30 years ago and I have to wear a contact lens~as I once told you~ anyway I tend to sleep on my stomach and lie on that eye~ when I wake up it often hurts or feels uncomfortable~like this morning~ is this normal~ also the Azopt drops are quite thick and maybe I don't shake the bottle enough~ but I seem to get a glue like residue in the eye~ I then tend to rub it out and today my eye feels uncomfortable~would it be possible that too much of this drop is getting into my eye~Thanks for any help~I have quite a large cut where the eye surgery was done ~plus at times my eye tends to droop a bit~Martha~

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Good Afternoon Martha,

Hmm...You might want to stop sleeping with that thick contact lens in your eye. It may be causing irritation to your cornea. I know it would suck to wake up and not be able to see out of that eye until you put in your contact lens, but that may be the best course of action at this point.

I do not think you are getting too much azopt in your eye or, since just a quick flick of your wrist is enough to shake the bottle well, that is not shook up enough.

It sounds like you are having a flair up of your blepharitis compounded by dryness of your eyes. I think we have talked about how to help with this before, but let me type it again for your review:

. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Does this make sense to you?

Other then these issues I hope you are doing well. And, you know, you are never bothering me :)

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Have a good weekend.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't wear the thick contact lens to bed~I have to remove it every night~ I just wondered to why lying on my eye would cause it to hurt sometimes~is that normal when you wake up~ the Azopt is almost like a white thick glue and leaves a residue in your eyes~no matter how much you shake it~even on the bottle it adds a note to shake well~ I hope I don't have all those other dry eye conditions~Martha~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

Oops. Sorry for the misunderstanding. If you eye is staying open a small crack, or being opened a bit by the pillow, that could be the cause of your discomfort. Your eye shouldn't normally hurt when you wakeup....something is going on.

If the azopt is too goopy you could ask your doc if you could use a different medication. I don't remember what glaucoma meds you are currently on (sorry :( but there are other alternatives available.

Try putting some lacrilube or refresh PM ointment (there are lots of brand names out there) in your eye right before bed. Goop it up good. If the problem is what I discussed above, this should fix it.

Have a good weekend. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Again~ I am on Azopt~ Combigan~ and Lumigan~ the latter just once a day~the Azopt is the thick like white glue stuff~it leaves a residue in the eye~no matter how much you shake it~I have quite a large cut where the surgery was done and it does not hurt real bad when I wake up~ just for a while it sort of aches maybe is what you call it~I hope that I don't have to figure out or do all what you mentioned above~I remember my mother using baby shampoo on her eye~ she had glaucoma~if I had a serious problem would not the Specialist picked up on it two months ago~ she did not want to see me for six more months~she just gave me these drops~maybe I should be using the Natural tears however~ as a contact can become dry~ I don't remember your mentioning Blephartis to me before~is it possible you have me mixed up with someone else~Martha~I am now afraid that I should be using baby shampoo treatment in my eye~Lumigan makes your eye lashes grow~wearing a thick contact is not pleasant~ but I always take it out when it bothers me~ do I have to go through all what you say above about tears and so on~as I said the Azopt is real thick~ it did do the trick however in bringing down my eye pressure~I am the one with the sister who has polypoidal~ my eye is blood shot right now from a dry contact~it seems the only junk that comes from my eye is that drop I mentioned~ should I still be using baby shampoo for that~you are making me nervous now that I may have Blephartis~as I said you never mentioned this to me before~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I think you are going to have to put up with the goopiness (is that a word?) of the azopt. Sorry about that.

You can safely use the baby shampoo lid scrubs...it will not hurt you at all and it may help.

Blepharitis is nothing to be nervous about......

Relax and have a good weekend :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest