Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi I had a pvd with flashes and floaters 6 weeks ago. I was

Hi I had a pvd with flashes and floaters 6 weeks ago. I was checked by an opthamologist then and three weeks after the incident with no signs of a retinal tear. I resumed jogging and other activities and I've noticed an increase in floaters, not a shower, no flashes. Does this merit another visit or is this a normal progression after a pvd? Thanks

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Yes hi

Dr. Dan B. : Do you feel like this is a significant increase in the number of floaters that you have been seeing or do you feel like you are seeing them more often but the same amount?

You know it is hard to say, more often and some more but I upped my activity level as well.

I don't have the little specks, mostly translucent globs

After I started jogging the first few times I noticed more, or more often

I could see an opthal. next week but is there any reason to respond sooner?

I don't want to over react

My initial pvd was 24 hrs of flashes and I had only a few scattered ones after.

I would say my eyes are "cloudier" than 3 weeks ago but not a shower of specks

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Thanks for the extra information. From what you're telling me, this sounds like you are noticing more often the floaters that have already been there. If there were a significantly increased amount of floaters that had not been there before or a bunch of new floaters you had never seen before, or if there were a significant increase in flashing lights if you have been seeing them, then this is reason to worry and to get another repeat exam. However, you're increased activity is kind of like jostling a snow globe: it stirs the floaters around and so you will see them more. Does this make sense?

yes perfectly, I will get a regular check up and not run back to the opthal in a couple of weeks,

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Do you have any other questions about this?

no I needed some resassurance on my perception. thank you

I know that if I have a shower of specks or new flashes that would merit more urgent action

I was't sure about the perception of the floaters though

Dr. Dan B. : You got it then. Good luck. Hope this has been helpful. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Will do thanks