Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr., I had cataract surgery last wednesday. I am farsighted

Customer Question

Dr.,
I had cataract surgery last wednesday. I am farsighted and the implant was for that condition. I was told I wasn't far sighted enough to have torque lenses. The operation went without a hitch, however, I cannot see well.. things are blurry.
I could at first see close, but now that has shadowing of letters and is not as good as it was. I am still using drops as prescribed. I returned to the doctors where all was remeasured and checked. I was told it will take time for the lens to be secure..
is this unusual?
thank you
stacy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did he say anything about swelling of your cornea?

Dr. Rick :

What was your vision at your last appt?

Customer :

Hello Dr. Rick,

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning.

Customer :

I saw the optomologist last wed. They said nothing of swelling and told me my vision was 40 20

Customer :

even though I had to guess at some of the letter that were small

Customer :

they said to give it time

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, 20/40 is not bad....but

Customer :

yes?

Dr. Rick :

a statement like " it will take time for the lens to be secure.." does not make any sense at all. It is imperative that the lens be stable from the instant it is placed in the eye.

Dr. Rick :

If the lens is not stable then the reason needs to be found and corrected. It can not be left to just flop around inside your eye....

Customer :

I was told it was floating up and down but the tissue where it was laid would close around it...

Dr. Rick :

If the surgeon told you this, I would suggest going to another, unrelated, surgeon for a second opinion. If the optometrist who works in the office with your surgeon told you this then I would call the office and ask to see your surgeon for an exam and explanation of what the optometerist (OD) told you....

Customer :

The surgeon is the one who told me this.... oh dear I'm in trouble eh?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Yes, the capsule may scar down, but the fact that it is "floating up and down" means something is wrong. Either the lens is the wrong size, there is damage to the capsular bag or zonules or something...in any event it needs to be seriously investigated and fixed.

Dr. Rick :

In all the decades I have known about cataract surgery I never once hoped that the lens would become stable AFTER the capsule, hopefully, closed down around the lens.

Dr. Rick :

This is a very fishy thing for your surgeon to tell you.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry about being the bearer of bad news.....

Customer :

so thinking it is just loose isn't a good thing correct

Dr. Rick :

That being said, this is nothing to panic about. It can be fixed, but I would go to some other eye surgeon for an opinion and, if needed, a repair.

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. It should never be loose.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer :

thank you so much...

Customer :

thank you so much

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer :

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.