Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had an eye exam not long ago and the Optomitrist said I had

I had an eye exam not long ago and the Optomitrist said I had a Baby Cataract~ I had to go and see a Specialist~ as I had very high eye pressure~ it was 37~ I went and when she examined my eyes she said it was not even really a cataract~ she got the pressure down to a 12 with three drops~ anyway what would it be and if it is a baby cataract how long before I would need surgery if it is~Martha
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. What they are referring to are gradations of your lens being cloudy, which is what a cataract is.
Dr. Dan B. : In the final analysis, technically, everyone is forming cataracts from the time we're born, so you could call it a baby cataract. However, many ophthalmologists like myself will not even call it a cataract until there starts to be some visually significant clouding of the lens; at that point it is worthy of observation and consideration of cataract surgery. Either way, though, it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about in that regard. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I heard you couldn't see my answer. Here it is:

Dr. Dan B. says:
6:10 AM
Hello and thanks for your question. What they are referring to are gradations of your lens being cloudy, which is what a cataract is.
6:13 AM
In the final analysis, technically, everyone is forming cataracts from the time we're born, so you could call it a baby cataract. However, many ophthalmologists like myself will not even call it a cataract until there starts to be some visually significant clouding of the lens; at that point it is worthy of observation and consideration of cataract surgery. Either way, though, it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about in that regard. Does this make sense?
6:13 AM
Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

HI~I had rated your answer~I only got it a short time ago by e~mail~I answered back and yet do not see my answer~ did you get my next question??

I'm sorry. I don't see it here. Can you repeat it in your reply to me?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Doctor Dan~ I had typed quite a bit~ so I don't know where it went~ I guess my question was if the Optomitrist is right~ how long would it take a Baby cateract to become a problem for surgery~A higher up Doctor like you says it is not really a cataract~ she saw me in May and does not want to see me for 6 more months~ so she could not have seen too much of a problem~one reason I am concerned is I had a cataract 30 years ago in my other eye when I was young~ called a juvenile cataract~ they had to put me to sleep to do it~ as my eye was jumping too much~ anyway back then I was considered too young to get an implant and they were new then~I have to wear a contact and that can be a nuisance~anyway many have told me that the implants back then were not as good as today's are~ so maybe it is just as well~ also I have been told to go back now and get it done~my present Doctor says it is too risky~I don't know WHY~ as many eye Doctors encouraged me to have it done now~ maybe it is the high eye pressure~ I guess I wanted your opinion and is there such a thing as a baby cataract~ I am afraid now it will develop fast~I guess there is no way of knowing~

I am thankful my eye pressure came down so much~ from a 37 to a 12~ I take three drops at night and two in the morning~ would this be for Life and one would think that perhaps the pressure might go too low~ since it went down so fast~ what happens if you skip a day or so~my sister has a condition called polypoidal and yet whenever you read of the different eye conditions I never see that one listed~ is it very rare~ it seems to be more in the Asian and African cultures and yet we are Caucasian~ she took a series of needles~ but that is not helping and needs farther treatment with Laser I think in a Larger Center~I was very fortunate that I did not have optic nerve damage~with my pressure so high and I had neglected to go to see about it~I hope you receive this question~Martha~

Everyone is different and age-related cataracts are much different than juvenile cataracts. If you have a "baby" cataract, which is clinically not a cataract at all, I would expect that you wouldn't have to have surgery for it for many years, if at all. You may not ever need it out. I think we've gone over the other things you've mentioned previously. Hope that's helpful.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi ~I notice when I sleep on my stomach~which I do quite a bit~I tend to lie on my left cataract eye~the one where I had the surgery~ I wake up with it rather hurting~ is that normal~and if so why would this be~Martha~

Likely because you've applied pressure to it all night by sleeping on it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for all your advice~it makes me relieved to know that I may not need surgery ever~that is why maybe the Specialist was not calling it a cataract at all~ your explanation makes sense~your advice about putting pressure on my eye also makes sense~there is quite a big cut there~it aches more than hurts~ how does one know when to bath your eye with baby shampoo~ my mother used to do that~ she had glaucoma~I have to use Azopt and it is like a white glue~a residue seems to remain in the eye afterwards~ how would one know if they have Blepharitis or not~right now my eye is blood shot from a dry contact~ so I removed it~ you were very helpful when I asked about the Doctor's instrument hurting my eye that time~the blood shot did leave~as you said in a couple of days~should I be using baby shampoo also with the residue from the Azopt~no matter how hard you shake the bottle it stays rather thick like a white glue~Martha