Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I sometimes get black flashes when blinking eye. What could

I sometimes get black flashes when blinking eye. What could cause this?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on for?

Dr. Rick :

Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Also, does this affect your vision?

Customer: Not long
Dr. Rick :

Customer: No I can still see
Dr. Rick :

That is good. I think I know what is causing your flashes.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the black flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, black or bright flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Here is a video of the actual surgery to remove floaters:

In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer: It is like a flash coming across your eye but not a floater. Comes into field of vision.
Dr. Rick :

Not everyone has the floater, sometimes just the flash. This makes sense to me.

Dr. Rick :

As you can see, in the majority of cases this is not a sign of anything serious. Also, I do not think it is related to the headache you have been experiencing in between your eyes that we talked about earlier.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A few months ago I had an incident where it seemed like sight went black for a second. Had CT and other tests done which came back fine.

Loss of vision in one eye for a short period of time (usually a few minutes)is different than what we discussed above. This is called amaurosis fugax.

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your need to know what to do.

It sounds, however, like you have already had a workup by knowledgeable doctors related to this event -- I'm glad nothing serious was found.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you in the future.

Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick