Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

II have small isolated flame shaped haemorrhage on the left

Customer Question

II have small isolated flame shaped haemorrhage on the left retina, what is this and what has caused this?
Thank you
Christine
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Can you tell me more about this? Was it found on or near the optic nerve? Do you have any medical problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes or auto-immune diseases such as Lupus?
JACUSTOMER-elo89l2y- :

No I just went for an eye regular test and he advised my GP the exam revealed a small isolated flame shaped haemorrhage on the left retina .

JACUSTOMER-elo89l2y- :

Sorry I don't have an diabetes or high blood pressure or lupus

JACUSTOMER-elo89l2y- :

Is anyone still there??????

Dr. Dan B. : I apologize that I wasn't there to see your answers. After waiting for several minutes to see if you could join me in the chat room, I had to leave my desk to see some patients.
Dr. Dan B. : Most commonly these flame shaped hemorrhages are a sign of a vascular event or insufficiency. In other words they occur mostly in people who have systemic high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, or heart disease. They can also occur in patients who have mild strokes to the retina. In addition, if they occur near or on the optic nerve, they can be harbingers for future glaucoma. Lastly, these hemorrhages can be seen in people who have autoimmune diseases like lupus. For this reason, I think it is important not only to talk to your primary care doctor to assess your risk factors for these but it is just as important to see an ophthalmologist to determine which if any of these things this appears to be consistent with and what your risk factors are. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!