How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick Your Own Question
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11176
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 45+ female with chronic migraines, facial neuralgia,

Customer Question

I am a 45+ female with chronic migraines, facial neuralgia, and have had glaucoma surgery. Now I have constant eye pain along with light sensitivity it has become so severe that I have to wear sunglasses both in and out doors. Must wear sunglasses at the movies, watching television and on computers. the sunglasses have polarized lenses with the darkest tint available and at times it is not enough. If I do not use them the pain in the eye is so intense it will bring on a severe migraine. I take medication for migraines however when the eye pain gets intense the I have to use vicodin or similar and cut my self off from any light, sound or smells. My question is could there be something else wrong with my eyes? I did not have constant pain or problem with light until after I had the glaucoma surgery, what is my next move which type of doctor should I seek. I already have a neurologist for the migraines and a optomologist. The neurologist suggest the eye pain is from the migraines.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

How long has this been going on for?

What type of surgery did you have for glaucoma?

How long ago was your surgery?

Do you use any eye drops now?

Are both eyes sensitive?

When did you last see your ophthalmologist?

What does she think about your symptoms?

Did she find anything wrong with your eyes?

Do you know what your eye pressures run in your operative and non-operative eye?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has been going on for about a year, it started right after the gualcoma surgery with on a problem with tv or movie light and has progressed to any light. The pain in the eye (most occurring in the right) it like being stabbed in the eye. sharp and very painful

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Did you have a trabeculectomy (where there is a bleb, or bubble, under your upper eyelid?

When did you last see your glaucoma surgeon, and what does she think?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NO trabeculectomy , Have only seen an optomologist will be seeing a glaucoma specialist after I have a mri done this friday

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding. So you have not yet had glaucoma surgery, correct?

Do you have glaucoma then? If so, do you use drops?

Does your ophthalmologist see anything on your eye exam that would explain your severe photophobia?

Sorry for my confusion :(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, had the surgery last year, the ophthalmologist did the laser surgery

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thank you for that information.

There really shouldn't be anything from a glaucoma laser surgery in the distant past (LPI, ALT, SLT, etc) that should cause your extreme issues.

I agree with the MRI. If this doesn't show anything you might consider gathering up your records and going to a large university teaching hospital for a consult.

Why a large University Teaching hospital. Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS