Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, ABOUT ME: Im a 33 year old male. I have amblyopia

ABOUT ME:
I'm a 33 year old male. I have amblyopia in my left eye and in both eyes I'm quite farsighted (+5.5)

CSR:
Approximately 2 years ago, I developed Central Serous Retinopathy in my right eye. A great deal of fluid accumulated below my retina. Considering the weakness of my left eye, and the severe loss of vision in my right eye due to the CSR, my retina specialists recommended that I undergo PDT - i agreed. This procedure corrected the problem, the leak stopped and I regained most of my vision in my right eye.

CURRENT STATE:
However, my vision in my right eye is not 100% the way it used to be, rather about 75%. There are some areas relatively close to the center of vision that appear damaged (a fogged glass sensation in this area when my eye is open, and a continuous shuttering of light in this area when my eye is closed) I have poor night vision now. I have several "floaters" and about 6 months ago experienced what my ophthalmologists suspected was a minor vitreous detachment.

MENTAL STATE:
This whole experience has made me realize how fragile the retina is and I'm now hypersensitive and worry constantly (to an obsessive degree) that something will happen again.

QUESTION:
Is it safe for me to lift weights for strength training? I would like to, say, do bench presses, but I'm concerned the amount of exertion required is not wise considering my CSR history. However, I have no facts to back this up and would like a professional opinion.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning.

Dr. Rick :

It is common to have residual damage to your central vision with CSR, even after a "gentle" laser treatment like PDT. There is, unfortunately, nothing that can be done for this :(

Customer:

Yes, I've accepted this fact.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is perfectly safe for you to lift weights and do strength training. All the usual exercises, including bench presses

Dr. Rick :

Exertion will not bring back your CSR. That being said, we know that worrying all the time is a risk factor for CSR....

Dr. Rick :

I treat a lot of CSR in my practice and have done so for over two decades. Trust me. You can work out to your hearts content without worry.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Perhaps you can see how I'm relating the two: exertion/increase blood flow and the nature of CSR. Can you explain how the two are different?

Customer:

That is comforting information

Dr. Rick :

Your retina controls the blood flow to it irrespective of your exercising, heart rate and, in a huge range of pressures, you BP. CSR has nothing to do with these issues.

Customer:

OK. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Enjoy your exercises...

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good webpage on CSR that you might find helpful:

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.