Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, Had septoplasty 2.5 years ago - great success Now: Sharp

Customer Question

Had septoplasty 2.5 years ago - great success
Now:
Sharp forehead pains that are recurrent(every 5 min or so)
NO yellow/green nasal discharge - clear mucous
NO significant nasal congestion - no problem breathing through nostrils
Blood pooling under eyes and veins around eyes
Prescribed cortisone for 5 days as treatment - still have pain after 7 days
Prescribed Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride
Prescribed Fluticasone furoate
Use saline rinse twice daily

My worries are the sharp forehead pains as well as the blood and veins under and around my eyes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

what is going on with the blood and veins around your eyes?

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

Good morning

Dr. Rick :

Are you currently being treated by the ENT surgeon who did your septoplasty two years ago?

Customer:

Good afternoon( south africa) . yes same ENT surgeon

Dr. Rick :

My computer just rebooted for some unknown reason...I'm back now though....

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is good as this doc knows you best and knows exactly what went on with your surgery.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you would benefit from an MRI of your head/sinuses......from what you have posted, that is what I would do next.

Dr. Rick :

Especially since the steroids did not help...

Customer:

Yes, that's what he said - if the cortisone did not work with the headache pain then I should come back in a week - just trying to make sense of my symptoms - no green/ yellow discharge or nasal congestion, BUT frontal sinus pain and blood pooling under eyes...

Dr. Rick :

With the blood pooling under your eyes it sounds like a vein (maybe an artery, but it would be worse) has formed at the surface of your sinus or the area of your surgery and, being near the surface, it is very fragile and is bleeding. This would account for your frontal headaches and the findings around your eyes.

Dr. Rick :

You might require an angiogram if it can't be found on the MRI>

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands and headed in the right directino.

Dr. Rick :

direction

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes it does - that sounds quite severe?

Dr. Rick :

No. It just sounds like one of those things that is going to take a good doctor and some extra tests to fix. And it sounds like you have a good doc to me :)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can help you with this morning (in the USA) or afternoon (SA)?

Customer:

Yes indeed - just wanted a different point of view. Is there possibility of the frontal and ethmoid sinus being inflamed causing lack of blood flow around the eyes or pooling of blood around the eyes?

Dr. Rick :

I do not think so. There are a lot of ways that blood gets to that area so, even if there was a lot of inflammation, the blood supply would still be fine.

Dr. Rick :

I hope you feel better soon. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you in the future.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I've had CT scans of my sinuses and there seems to be no problem with frontal sinuses. The area around my eyes still seems inflamed with veins and pooling of blood. The under eye has what looks like "goosebumps" along with the regular blueish discoloration. What do you suggest could be the cause?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Jason,

Would it be possible to for you to upload a picture of the area around your eyes?

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thanks for reply. Here is a photo of the eye area: http://i43.tinypic.com/wa616f.jpg

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Jason,

Let me take a look at the picture. Be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Jason,

My entire reply was eaten by the Gremlins that live in the internet. I have to get to the office but I will come back and re-type it between patients during morning clinic.

Sorry about that :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ha ha oh dear. Not a problem.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Something is wrong and my answers are still getting eaten. I'm going to work on it and get back to you. Sorry about that :(