Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Could an injection in the eye by an Ophthalmoligist for macular

Could an injection in the eye by an Ophthalmoligist for macular degeneration cause an eye mini stroke
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. While it is rare for this to happen with the current drugs used (avastin, lucentis, Eylea) it is possible

Dr. Rick :

Was the "stroke" an artery or vein occlusion?

Customer:

Is there any thing that can be done to restore sight

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question and it all depends on how large the stroke was, the area of the retina involved, if the optic nerve was involved, etc.

Customer:

I don;t know which it was

Dr. Rick :

Ok. How long ago was the stroke?

Customer:

About a year ago. He did not have a stoke.....the Dr. said he lost sight because of a mini stroke in the eye

Dr. Rick :

Also, do you remember if the doctor called it a BRVO, BRAO, CRAO, CRVO, etc....?

Customer:

No she did not give any details

Dr. Rick :

I understand. The term "stroke" for a vascular event in the eye does not convey much information, although it is used a lot.

Dr. Rick :

Well, since he is a year out from the event, I would not expect his vision to get any better at this point, nor for any treatment to improve his vision either.

Customer:

I could get in touch with her and find out and get back with you

Dr. Rick :

The retina is just like a piece of the brain. It does not do well with this type of injury.

Customer:

Is there any other advise you can give me

Dr. Rick :

If you could get a copy of his clinical notes I would be happy to review them for you in depth so you understand exactly what happened.

Dr. Rick :

At this point, I do not think that anything can be done to improve his vision from this eye stroke.

Customer:

Ok, I will try that and how do I get that to you

Dr. Rick :

Just post your question like you did this one and say "for Dr. Rick". You can also request me when you list the question.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I thought I would have to send you his records in the mail or something

Dr. Rick :

No. You can scan them into your computer, or take a picture of the notes with your cell phone, email them to yourself, then upload them to me using the paperclip on your screen.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

But, as we discussed, I do not believe reviewing your records will allow me a way to improve your vision...but at least we could go over what happened etc.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

Ok. We can close out this thread and I will look forward to reviewing your notes when they become available. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.